Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:21 pm 

Im looking to see if there is any product out there that would be strong enough to hold up to the rigors of a running engine that will bond two pieces of aluminum togeher
i know some body shops use some pretty strong stuff ,as in to bond body panels together.
it would be nice if it came in some sort of application using a hand held gun/tube(like a seam sealer) that will lay a bead so i can maybe tack weld the covers and spacers togehter in a few places so they dont move ,and then,run a bead around the whole perimiter to seal in oil/keep in vacuum
im looking to run an aluminum gm ls valve cover with spacers due to needing extar height for my rockers,yet still unning coil packs,and im thinking if i could somehow bond the valve covers to the top of the spacers,i could in theory eliminate one of the gaskets needed
id think welding around the whole cover would work, but im afraid if it warps the spacer,then i cant go back and mill it straigth ,as id lose my groove for the gasket
i know there are some aftermarket covers,but
a-they are NOT CHEAP
b-why pay 450 bucks to cover them up anyway with the coil packs
c-hot rodding is part ingenuity and part frugal lol
thanks

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

I put an oil pan on one time with grey RTV and when I went to remove it, I wound up bending the crap out of it to get it to release.

Last year I put a sheetmetal intake on my SBC with nothing but RTV (no gaskets anywhere) and it ran most of the year before it started to leak around the intake ports. Since a valve cover isn't going to see that much vacuum, I'd try some RTV as it's cheap and if it doesn't work the worst that will happen is that it will leak.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 am 

I don't know if the body panel adhesive will hold up to the oil and temperature. We used a special Toyota silicone for the copper head gaskets on the Jr. dragster motors. This stuff was recommended by just about all the Jr engine builders. I had to make sure there was at least one tapped through bolt hole to use a jack bolt to separate the head from the block. This stuff is thicker and sticker than any other silicone I have ever used. If you want to try it I can get you the part number off of it.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:16 pm 

please if you would id like the part number to the toyota secret squirrel goo lol
thanks
crossbreed

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:02 am 

Chuck, Ford also makes a some real good stuff that is also very tough..It comes in a pressurized bottle.. I'll check to see if I have any left and post the part # for it if anybody wants to try it..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 am 

Crossbreed wrote:
please if you would id like the part number to the toyota secret squirrel goo lol
thanks
crossbreed

I'll try to remember to get the part number off of it when I take my lunch today.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:36 pm 

Toyota seal packing 102 (FIPG)
P/N 00295-00103

I think that stuff was around 20 bucks for a 3 oz. tube. Let me know if you can't get it and I will check with my dealer PD.

Chuck's Automotive

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech