Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Bad start Dam
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:59 am 

Well my new 509 with AFR 290cc heads and Vic Jr. installed in car. Before start up primmed engine with old point dist with cam gear removed no gasket used and had 60 lbs. Start up 15 seconds no presure shut off. Cleaned dist gear with brake clean then coated gear with anti sieze to check gear engagement with cam well 3/16 marked from bottom of gear. Theres no engagement even close to center of gear. My thinking is dist is not droping low enough to engage oil pump would 1/4 pump engagement be enough. Have Moroso slip coller ordered
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/26217/10002/-1 Will machine my GM hei dist to use this. The ditance between intake and engine block china wall is large lots of silicone used. Do you think Iam on right track. A melling 77 pump was used in 502 block before rebuild and for this one only different part was Moroso pump drive and stud kit :-k

Post subject: Re: Bad start Dam
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 pm 

Did you happen to stick a SB pump drive shaft in it by mistake?? oops.. re read and saw that wasn't the problem.
MSD makes a primer/setup tool for getting the shaft and slip coller in the correct position. It indexes off the cam gear...Great tool. I think it is: Oil Pump Primer 8599

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:59 am 

Installed slip coller problem solved distributer is now engaging oil pump shaft by 1/4 inch. =D>

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:51 am 

I will also say this with 260-266 @ .050 and 110 lobe separation this motor idled down to 750 it is remarkably smooth at 850 rpm. I set idle at 950 rpm for increased oil flow to lifters Isky EZX rollers.My old 502 had HYD roller with 244 - 248 @ 50 on 108 LS sounded a lot more lopey than this motor. All I can think of is the port velocity and design of these AFR 290cc heads smothing things out. My Vic Jr is matched to heads perfectly also. I do have to modify # 6 primary tube for more plug boot clearance . Unless theres some trick ceramic 45 degree plug boot.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:32 am 

blasttime wrote:
I do have to modify # 6 primary tube for more plug boot clearance . Unless theres some trick ceramic 45 degree plug boot.

I don't know if it will help but Accel makes a short spark plug. Of course that limits your choices in spark plugs.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 pm 

This should help some folks....

Jacobs Pro Fit ceramic plug wires. Universal set 8.5mm RFI..... good to 2000*

morph

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:15 pm 

Off work tomorrow header coming off and sawsall with new blade cant wait to hack these up will do # 6 and 8 tubes

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech