Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Truck motor?
 Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:07 am 

I am going to build a new motor for my 94 Chevy C2500 truck since I can't afford a new/used one at this time as if I have a winter like last it will be buy heating oil or pay for the truck #-o ..
Looking at building a 383 as my machine shop that did the machine work for me has a standard bore block and a set of heads that already have screw in studs and guide plates.
I pulled them apart and there in the hot tank for the weekend and hope there not cracked but we will see next week..There 64cc chambers and with a dished piston it's going to be around 9 to 1 compression. He has a cam out of a roller cam out of a police car and will maybe use that but will get the specs and post them later so you small block cam gooroos can give me some input on that..Oh and it will be a hyd roller if I use that cam or not..

Some questions, Should I spend any time to do a little pocket porting just under the valve???
How much compression will be to much for dragging the trailer? We have some long hills.
What is the best hyd lifter for the street?? Should I get a GM lifter?
One other thing some have said I may need to get the injector that the 454 uses for there
throttle body lifter....
You think there is any power/advantage to the aftermarket throttle body intake?

Would love to get a duramax or even a powerstroke but don't want to be strapped with a payment.. :-
And a few that I looked at there 20 grand+ O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject: Re: Truck motor?
 Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:06 am 

Any RV junkyards around? Might find a good Engine at a better price there. What's in it now?

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:03 am 

Are the heads you have a vortec casting?

062 or 906?

Randy

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:22 pm 

It has 350 and it's a LT version, dip stick on the right side and center bolt valve covers..
Mark, the only money I am really going to have in it is a rotating assembly and gaskets...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:09 pm 

I built an el cheapo 383 back in '95 to put in my '93 1500 to pull my camper & bassboat. I don't know if it would be classified as "Ken cheap" =; , but it was pretty economical for me. Of course,yours will be geared lower than mine was,so you can go bigger on the cam if need be.I wanted as much off idle & lowend as I could reasonably(cheaply) get. Soooo,this is what I did: Turned 400 crank, 400 rods, cast 350 pistons(this was not ideal combo as, best I remember, pistons were .040 in the hole!), throttle body heads that I cut about half of the swirl vane out of, Edelbrock Performer TBI intake, Edelbrock Performer TBI camshaft-flat tappet-(which is tiny!), stock TBI unit, stock exhaust manifolds with dual exhaust. I did have to go with 454 injectors along with adjustable fuel pressure regulator to feed it.At the time, Transgo was the only folks making shift kits for 4L60e's, so I used theirs & it worked good. And I did have a hypertech chip in the ecm. It turned out well for a cheap combo,made great torque,got good fuel mileage as well. I used to pull my 20 foot camper to the lake & it would get 11 mpgs doing that. I had put 100,000 miles on that engine when I finally sold the truck a couple of years ago. It was a slap in the face when I bought my present truck,2005 chevy ext. cab with 4.8, to drive compared to my old 93! I've about got used to it now, but for a while, I thought I was gonna have to buy a supercharger to put on this thing, it felt so weak compared to the old squoker. =;

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:48 pm 

Yep that's what I am looking for....I will spend the $$$ so it's a good reliable piece if need be...
Other told me that I will need the 454 injectors to make it work...

Barry what regulator did you use and what did you have the pressure set at?? If you can remember #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:54 pm 

Barry,

I would absolutely pocket port the heads. But nothing to aggressive,...

For the cam specs... I would run an intake duration of about 114°-224° @ .050". Add something like 4°-6° to the exhaust over what ever you decide on the intake. I would keep the lift somewhat short,maybe around .445"-.460". I think you'd make more torque and HP at towing RPM if you stayed around the .450 lift range. Depending on what induction you're wanting to run. I'd run an LSA of about 110°-114°. Leaning to more LSA myself, especially if your running injection.

Compression. If you're running cast iron heads I wouldn't go over 9-1 at all. I'd spend 1-2 hours on the domes of the pistons and make sure all the sharp edges on the dome are blended. Just like you would in the combustion chamber of the head. Speaking of which I would spend about the same amount of time on the chambers as well for the same reason.

I'd play around with the timing a lot to see what it likes best.

I would think you could get at lease 350-375 pounds of torque at maybe 3000rpm with about the same-ish HP at 3500-4000rpm about the same. That's with stock heads that is. Not sure about aftermarkets. Aluminum I would bump 1 point-ish on the compression. I think that the main advantage to going after market heads would be reliability. But adds to the budget. Might be worth another 25 hp/tq maybe...

JMO so don't shoot the messenger... [-X

Don

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:18 pm 

Don, Thanks for the post.. Would love to do aftermarket but not in the budget at all as I want to keep it very low budget and work with what I have..
The pistons are going to be a dished. Yes I was also going to knock all the sharp edges off of them and the chambers also as they have a large square casting by the spark plug hole so I can also knock all the edges off of them also.
The ports under the valves look ugly as there is a large sharp edge just under the valve that can be removed to help that area and would also help with flow some..

I really don't know what as far as HP/TQ that it has now but what would this combo make??

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:24 pm 

Barry that was the plan for my 93. I talked to GM performance parts. About it. They said that I would have to build the motor how I wanted it. Then send the specs and the computer to somebody like Jett to create a program for it. And then keep tweaking. There isn't many options for the 90-95. I think 95 was when they changed the computers to plug and play. So i did the next best thing bought a duramax!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:29 pm 

Steve, There are a few company's that will reprogram a prom..

Like I said I would love to get a new..er truck but just won't do it now with the way the economy
is right now...I like having no payments...No CC or car...Only one I have is this house...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 pm 

The hp/tq numbers I suggested you could get with the cam numbers I would use was in my tow vehicle package what I had a shop. Every one of those engines I built and dynoed had about 350 hp and tq at towing rpm. Those engines were all 350 engines using stock heads, 1.94"/1.5" valves, with a good 3 angle valve job, no porting at all, using a flat tappit hyd cam with about .450 lift, 218°-222° degrees of duration @ .050 on the intake with 4°-6° degrees added to the exhaust, using an LSA of .112"-.114".

I would think you could get more hp/tq out of the same components in a 383 in engine. Use at least a 5.7" rod though. 6" would be nice but not necessary. Make sure your cam grinder knows what rod length you're using. Balance this stuff internally also. You won't regret the extra expense there.

Don

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:52 pm 

Thanks Don, I am also going with a hyd roller with this build......

Anyone know what it has for HP or TQ as it is??

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:14 pm 

Barry, on the pressure regulator...I actually drilled out the tamper proof sealer that covered up the spring seat screw on my factory regulator.It had an allen head on it.But it was aggravating drilling it out.Later on, I built a vortec headed 383 for my brother & we just used the Jet Performance cover for his.

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:36 am 

randy355 wrote:
Are the heads you have a vortec casting?

062 or 906?

Randy, Can I use a Vortec casting?? What is different than the LT style that I have?
The 2 center bolts on the head that holds the intake are at a different angle.
Dumb question but I am not up on the newer style small block stuff.. =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:38 am 

BarryW wrote:
Barry, on the pressure regulator...I actually drilled out the tamper proof sealer that covered up the spring seat screw on my factory regulator.It had an allen head on it.But it was aggravating drilling it out.Later on, I built a vortec headed 383 for my brother & we just used the Jet Performance cover for his.

Barry I have benn looking here for some injection parts..
http://marine-performance-parts.com/gmt ... ction.aspx

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech