Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:06 am 

If the new manifold flows air into the cylinder better then the cylinder will be full earlier in the up stroke so that means you have to change the cam to stop reversion. By fitting the old manifold back on it goes faster because its still filling the cylinder rather than backflowing.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:08 am 

But even though the old manifold makes it go faster its not the fastest the engine will go. Its just that you dont have the balance right with whatever the flow from the new manifold was.

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Positive note here though. I cut the crap out of that intake and did about 5 hours work matching the ports to the head..........KINDA. There is still some power left there as I left some extra material on the port height to remove later. As it is now though, this intake is making at least as much if not more power as that $750 miscarrage I took off! O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Well, went testing at Roxboro, NC last night with my 1150 alky Dominator. I'm not exactly sure what happened as I haven't compared the data from this carb two years ago but if the early signs prove to be true, then this alky Dominator that use to run lean is now running RICH!??? And this is after the gas Dominator on this same intake ran a little LEAN? DAYUMNIT! Can't I catch a break here??

Preliminary indications are that we're slightly quicker density altitude wise on RICH alky than we were on 12.8 AFR gas two weeks ago. Will know more after I put the weather numbers in Crew Chief Pro.

Bottom line is that the car came home in one piece and the truck did as well. Down side is that I left the race track soaking wet with sweat!!! That s**t is hard on an old man!!!!

Oh, and out of 5 passes last night, there were three double "O" lights below .007!! O:) NO RED LIGHTS!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:15 pm 

What; the globes were blown, the cars too slow off the line, or are you just DAM GOOD! Congrats.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
What; the globes were blown, the cars too slow off the line, or are you just DAM GOOD! Congrats.

Best short time was 1.172 so it's not slow by bracket race door car standards. Just DAMN lucky I guess. ;-)

Last night's best ET was the quickest it's ever been in 1800ft DA running 5.56. It's been a little quicker than that there but that was in air that was -300+ft DA.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:57 pm 

Yeah thats pretty good to get those reaction times all in a row.
So despite what the AFR reads how do the plugs look? There the real thing.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
Yeah thats pretty good to get those reaction times all in a row.
So despite what the AFR reads how do the plugs look? There the real thing.

That wasn't three .00x lights in a row shrinker. it was 3 out of the five hits at the tree but not all 3 in a row.

Read a plug on methanol? You are kidding, right? Remember, I'm the guy that can't read a plug worth a damn even on gas. ;-) O2 was showing rich and so were EGTs. Ran out of time adjusting timing so didn't get a chance to play with jets and air bleeds. Will save that for another day.

Right now I'm thinking about putting that sheetmetal intake back on, making a few passes with that then pull the engine to get it ready for that "skinny" car sitting in my shop doing nothing. It's starting to get hot so it's about time to quit racing until fall. Old fat ppl don't like the heat and it will probably take me that long to get the skinny car ready anyway since I've got to come up with some more cash for essentials. Like shorty planetary and rear cover, new tires, paint, headers, yadda, yadda, yadda. All that stuff is likely to run me near $3,000.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:38 am 

Sparkplugs get the same deposit formation on methanol as they do on gasoline.
They form Tan rings on the porcelain when the methanol is correctly vaporized and run rich of stoich.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE:

Ok, so here's what it looks like now.

So the sheetmetal intake is going back on and there will be a T&T Wednesday night at Roxboro to see where it is with the same intake and carb setup that I ran last year.

THIS WILL BE THE LAST HOO RAH! The engine WILL come out after this test and the next pass I make will be in the dragster I bought back in March as I've got everything I need for that car except paint and headers and paint wont' keep me from testing it!! \:D/

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech