Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Well, PB and I started changing over to the old Dart intake tonight. Got the Edelbrock off and the gaskets all cleaned off and now have to do a port match on that intake before it's put on for testing. Those Dart ports are all over the place size wise so I'm going to try to make them somewhat the same and closer to the actual head port size.

While it's apart I'm going to take one more stab at the oil leak as it's not "that" much trouble to get the pan off. Probably will pull the bottom seal housing off and swap out the main seal and reseal everything one more time.

We missed the test and tune at Roxboro for this week because of the work I had to do on the Dodge to get it inspected. Got that and the trailer done today so we're good to go on those now.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:29 am 

hey ken,we had a dart intake here sbc/4150 and the intake ports were so far off we would have had to do some welding on it to port match it to a set of darts own heads....we sold it and bought a super vic.
i hear you with the stupid leak thing,i've had a slight one in my tranny and i just found it,the seal around the shift lever.....dammit!

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:11 am 

Ken could the block be seeping? I read about this somewhere The casting gets thin and oil seeps making it look like the rear seal is leaking. That was on BBC only.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:12 am 

Looking to get those #'s back??? You did what I did, changed to many
things :-#

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Looking to get those #'s back??? You did what I did, changed to many
things :-#

I had no idea that moving the cam back to cam card spec was going to cause what happened and I'm still not understanding or believing that was the cause of the tuneup changing as much as it has. THAT is why I'm going back to that old intake, not so much for performance sake but to see where the tuneup on this gas carb is since it was originally setup on that intake on this engine. If the performance comes back then that's OK too but at this point it's not the primary reason for the change.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Well, got the intake on and the pan back on and fired it a little while ago. Ran it long enough to get water temp up to 200* and no leaks on the floor until about 15 minutes after I shut it off and now I got 3 drops that have hit the floor that are coming from the same area as before and it's not the main seal. I swear I believe that either the cam plug or one of the oil gallery plugs is leaking, not that main seal adapter. [-(

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:54 pm 

Ken I'm still trying to find that article on the big blocks seeping oil. It was in Chevy High Performance. Is yours a stock block?

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

No Steve, this is a NASCAR BowTie block and I just confirmed that the oil is coming from up in the cam plug oil gallery plug area. Stuck a coat hanger up there and it came back wet after I had cleaned it off with brake kleen then restarted the engine and run it for a few minutes.

So either the engine or the tranny has to come out to fix that but I've run it a couple of times now with it leaking and it hasn't caused any major problems other than the mess under the car.

We're scheduled to hit Roxboro for a T&T tomorrow night so I can see where the tuneup is on this Dominator and the old intake. Probably hit there again week after next with the alky Dominator and once I got data on that I may go ahead and pull the engine and work on getting it in the dragster.

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:16 pm 

Good to know you located it. A boy and his toys :- :- =; \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:44 pm 

I feel your pain, the last pull truck engine I built leaked from the cam plug. First time for me on that! O:)

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

BarryW wrote:
I feel your pain, the last pull truck engine I built leaked from the cam plug. First time for me on that! O:)

Dunno if it's the cam plug or an oil gallery plug Barry but like you, this is a first time for me too, and did I mention that it sux!

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:02 pm 

When you have it down next time. Paint the bell housing area of the block white. Makes it a lot easier to pinpoint the leaks if/when you have any.

Don

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:57 am 

With the trailer deal going south looks like PB has a trans to pull... :-

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:16 am 
Site Admin

Yeah I know, I'm up way too early and was up way late last night but with the trip to Winchester scheduled for today my biological clock wouldn't let me sleep any later than 6:30.

Last nights test went well. Have some interesting O2 data and performance was better with the car running 5.60 @ 127.7 something right off the trailer with the carb tuneup from last time out, ie, .033 MABs and 96 MJs, which was 13.4 lean with that Victor intake. Those figures were down to 12.7 something on O2 without any other changes except the intake so it did improve some. I changed air bleeds again and jets on the 3rd pass and the final time slip was 5.58 @ 128 and change so everything I did last night made if both quicker and faster. Best short time was a 1.178. I can't remember specifics and will have to check the logs but I do believe this is the quickest this thing has been on a single carb on gas and I do believe that it will go into the 5.40s on methanol.

Ennywho, I got a flat line O2 graph on that last pass and I'll try to post a pic of that after all the car trailer stuff is done and life is back to "normal".

But it was a good test as both the truck and car came home in one piece! \:D/

Now, lets get ready to go to Winchester! ;-)

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:35 am 

Nice to see you have a good day at the track. So does it seem the cam timing change affected the carb tune-up?

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech