Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Ok so when I wasn't chasing my tail on the malware hack attack on our forum software this weekend, I did manage to install a real nice looking set of billit aluminum main caps on an Oldsmobile DX 350 block for TMC_Hurst_Olds. Took a good bit of hand work with a jewelers rat tail file to make the corners fit but overall it turned out real well. There was a fair amount of machine work to get caps 2 thru 4 to work as you can see in the pics. Look at mains 2,3 & 4 in the first pic and you'll notice that the outter ends of the block's main saddles were not machned at all. Had to reference each location to the block's existing cap register, which was time consuming. TMC was somewhat amazed that my old Bridgeport could get those diminsions as close as we did. Should have told him that the machine was only as good as the operator but didn't! :- \:D/ TMC has a background in QC and managed the QC Dept of the B&W fuel plant here in Lynchburg for about 40 years so he knows how to do the meaurements. He told me what he wanted and I gave it to him, most of the time within .0005 and mind you this was with an end mill, not a grinder! Yup, the "Old Man" has still got it! ;-)

Those aluminum caps came from Frank Trimble, who is an Oldsmobile freak too. He runs a business up in Maryland called Frank Trimble Enterprises and he speciaizes in this type of stuff. Having seen and installed these caps I can tell you that the quality of his work is second to none!

http://home.comcast.net/~mcalvo1/frankt.htm

Kevin Blanks Performance in Clarksville, Va will align bore and hone those new caps/block in the very near future. http://www.blanksperformance.com/shopTour.htm

And an FYI for ya. TMC is in well into a build on a Buick Regal that he will tun into a GNX clone only it will have a Pro Charged Olds V8 instead of a turbocharged V6. It will feature an S&W backhalf with full cage, etc and will be street legal to boot. More to come on that later though and yes, he does have pics Barry! I will post them for him some time in the future. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:33 pm 

=; =; =; =; =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:41 pm 

Well Ken, that's some whiz bang stuff right there. As to the caps themselves I get a real kick out seeing innovative solutions like that. Is that a diesel block? How big can they bore and stroke those?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

You noticed the DX on that block I see. Yup, it's a 350 DX Oldsmoble block. He's not going to max it out cuz he's planning on boosting the crap out of it with a ProCharger. He's even going to half fill it too just to make sure. Only problem is the guys is 72 years old now and he's building another car and engine?? I asked him who the hell was going to drive it and he looked and pointed at me? Dunno about that one as I'm trying to get out of anything less than a 225 inch wheel base.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:56 am 

That block looks a little ugly....Hope he had it checked out real good as Olds blocks are known for cracking..Yea even the diesel blocks...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech