Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Radiator, Need Help!
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

I'm looking for a new radiator for the dragster like the one that's on my Camaro. In the following pics you'll see that there is a brace on the upper front side that is bolted to a boss on the tank along with an additional mounting flange on the top corner. That particular radiator has mounting tabs on each of the 4 corners and has those mounting bosses front and rear in 4 places each side where the fan shroud and upper brace are bolted too. I need one with all these mounts but have been unable to fine one.

Oh, and both the inlet and outlet are on the opposite end and point to the rear of the car. Also there is NO RADIATOR CAP ON IT ON EITHER END!

So, anyone know what this thing is suppose to fit and or where I can buy one like it? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Radiator, Need Help!
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Found this picture on the net this evening. This radiator is very similar to the one in the Camaro and the Dragster. From what I can find out this radiator came in 1975 to 1982 VW Rabbit diesels and Sciroccos but most of the aftermarket radiators are NOT made like this one as the corner mounting tabs are missing.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:39 pm 

I found this for a 1980 Rabbit diesel. The dimensions are listed but it looks a little longer than the one you show.
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 0309208984
I can get a little better price on it but don't think I could save you anything by the time I ship it.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 pm 

Ken, I believe it is a volkswagen scirocco (spelling) looks like mine in my camaro. I got mine from Jegs, lots of places offer it with aluminum tanks as well.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

gearhead1011 wrote:
I found this for a 1980 Rabbit diesel. The dimensions are listed but it looks a little longer than the one you show.
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 0309208984
I can get a little better price on it but don't think I could save you anything by the time I ship it.

Chuck, that one is 2 1/2 inches longer than what I need. Mine is 19" and that one is 21 1/2"

Stroker, yeah they are listed for Rabbit and Sciroccos along with some Jettas' too but most now don't have the same mounts as these older ones. The ones with the aluminum tanks are $500, which is OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE. I've run these on several cars I've owned but never bought but one and that went in that first Camaro I built way back in 1988. It was off of a Rabbit and had the radiator cap on it, which I can't use with this new car.

Got to keep looking I guess! ](*,)

Tell me again why I keep doing this? :-

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:18 am 
Site Admin

Ok, I think I found it. Here's the link. Found out that 19" is close to 480mm which is what my radiator is. So did a search for 480mm Rabbit radiator and this was one of the links that Google came back with. The price is right too. Hell, I think I'll just go ahead and order two of'em just so I'll have a spare. I figured I'd have to pay a "C" note for one anyway so...........

http://www.hansdieselparts.com/171121253DRadiator.htm

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 am 

Just my opinion but I personally would splurge a little for an afco they are not that bad $250-260. I just worry about the safety factor going 130-140 mph with plastic tanks or epoxied core radiators. O:)

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech