Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:46 am 

Hello All

When the lifter is at full lift, the large oil groove around the lifter pops out of the lifter bore. Have you guys had this issue on your engines and does it matter.

Thanks Trevor

Everthing on this car is all done by myself
650 HP Plus 300 Nos
Best so far
1.38 60 ft, 6.3 1/8 at 110 mph and 10.2 at 135 mph, long way to go before i reach my low nine hey

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Trevor glad to see you back around. Hope you have been doing well.

I've got two SBC engines. One is .660 lift and the other is above .730 and neither do that. Both these engines have a small base circle cam though and the latter one has 1.6 ratio rocker arms. I don't think I'd be comfortable with that area of the lifter being out of the bore as it will likely have a negative effect on the stability of the lifter in the bore at max lift. Not a good thing from where I'm sitting as spring pressure on the nose of the cam can get pretty high, mine is over 800 lbs.

Not sure what engine combination you are working with and or what lifters or cams are available but a small base circle cam might help depending on how much of that opening you got above the lifter bore.

But since I'm not the expert here I'd be interested to hear what others think of this.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:33 pm 

Clinker wrote:
Hello All

When the lifter is at full lift, the large oil groove around the lifter pops out of the lifter bore. Have you guys had this issue on your engines and does it matter.

Thanks Trevor

It does matter a lot you will lose all your oil pressure ...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:32 pm 

My other motor had a 733 lift and didn't do that??? The new one has 800+ lift but also has the tall lifter bores.......

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 pm 

I don't know if it would lose oil pressure, but it would definatly cut off the oil supply past that lifter and with the lifter that far out of the bore I would think spring pressure would wear the tops of the lifter bores out quick, im thinking you have the wrong lifters for your bkock

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:06 pm 

inVEGArating wrote:
I don't know if it would lose oil pressure, but it would definatly cut off the oil supply past that lifter and with the lifter that far out of the bore I would think spring pressure would wear the tops of the lifter bores out quick, im thinking you have the wrong lifters for your bkock

And in all probability the flat sides of the lifter that house the roller would be into the oil gallery area, and the oil would dump out of the bottom, still no pressure ?? only way to be sure is to drive the pump with a drill and turn it over by hand.. if the oil comes out the bottom then its lossing it there and if it sprays out into the valley then its losing it there.

either that or do some very careful measuring.. on all of them..

I've heard of the problem before..

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:05 am 

Hahaha

I dont think you guys realise my dilema. Im building a Holden V8, Nothing is the correct part for this motor, Im using 8 offset comp cams lifters and 8 normal comp cams lifters out of a chev and a custom machined link bar. I machined up a long bronze tube and pressed it into the lifter oil galleries and reduced the hole dia to the lifter. The lifter is a pretty tall lifter and it still feels very stable in the gallery at full lift, Im grabbed an original holden lifter and that oil groove is lower down on the holden lifter. I will just have to run this the way it is. If I lived in the states I could probably get onto comp or someone and get a better lifter, but its to hard from here.

Anyway, thanks

Everthing on this car is all done by myself
650 HP Plus 300 Nos
Best so far
1.38 60 ft, 6.3 1/8 at 110 mph and 10.2 at 135 mph, long way to go before i reach my low nine hey

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm 

Clinker wrote:
Hahaha

I dont think you guys realise my dilema. Im building a Holden V8, Nothing is the correct part for this motor, Im using 8 offset comp cams lifters and 8 normal comp cams lifters out of a chev and a custom machined link bar. I machined up a long bronze tube and pressed it into the lifter oil galleries and reduced the hole dia to the lifter. The lifter is a pretty tall lifter and it still feels very stable in the gallery at full lift, Im grabbed an original holden lifter and that oil groove is lower down on the holden lifter. I will just have to run this the way it is. If I lived in the states I could probably get onto comp or someone and get a better lifter, but its to hard from here.

Anyway, thanks

Trev,
I think you still should run the oil pump with a drill and turn it over, if the oil groove is too high you wont get any oil to the roller, more so as you have reduced the oil hole dia. if the lfter goes up far enough it could still expose the flats where the roller is and that will lose you oil pressure.. for waht it would take its cheap insurance..

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech