Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: RTV Again?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Was getting the car out of the trailer this morning and there was a bunch of oil under it in the area of the flywheel? That main seal adapter back there was installed with that same funky non-hardnening black RTV that I had originally used on the pan that leaked so looks like I got major problems that will require the engine or the tranny to come out? Didn't leak a drop here in the shop but I guess those 3 attempts at the track Sunday were enough to push the crap out and start a leak.

DAYUMNIT! [-(

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: RTV Again?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:52 am 

WOW!!! Lessen learned here...Looks like pith bitch has some work cut out for him!! =; =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Going to look at that dragster tomorrow so if this engine comes back out of this car now it probably won't go back in it! O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Got the car up on stands last night and checked it out. Seems that it's still leaking from the same place it was before, which doesn't appear to be from the seal adapter. So I drained the oil back out of it last night and will pull the pan back off and replace that gasket tomorrow. I guess I need to put a zipper on this thing! :-

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 am 

Ken, do you have a one piece gasket on there??? I have been using them and they never seem to leak........

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Nice thought Barry but the way this rear seal adapter is made I can't use any gasket in that area. This is just a fluke thing as I've been using this setup now for about 12 or so years and this is the first time it's given me this much trouble. Hopefully I can fix it THIS time! O:)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:15 pm 

Ken,

What kind of sealer are you using again? Brand name?

Don

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

want-a-be wrote:
Ken,

What kind of sealer are you using again? Brand name?

Don

Don for years (about 25 or so) I've used GE clear silicon on this and the ends of the intake with zero problems. Just was running low on that stuff when I put the engine together and had plenty of the black, which I had used on the tranny and transfer case on the Dodge two years ago and it had worked well so I just used it instead of my "regular" stuff. Won't make that mistake again!!

This time will replace ALL the gaskets and do what has worked in the past! ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:26 pm 

If your replacing gaskets I'd definitely recommend the one piece Fel-pro oil pan gaskets. We've used them on 6 different builds and they have never leaked. A little RTV in the corners by the main caps and your good-to-go. Best part is that for the cost-conservative types ;-) they can be reused several times.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

mslayton wrote:
If your replacing gaskets I'd definitely recommend the one piece Fel-pro oil pan gaskets. We've used them on 6 different builds and they have never leaked. A little RTV in the corners by the main caps and your good-to-go. Best part is that for the cost-conservative types ;-) they can be reused several times.

Mark you have to understand that I cant' use those gaskets on this application! This is a BowTie block designed for a ONE PIECE rear main seal that I'm using an adapter on so I can run a TWO piece rear seal. Instructions that came with it said to use RTV instead of the regular seal part in that are as there's not enough clearance for it. Here is a link to the seal adapter I run made by Stefs.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Stefs/Stefs-2-Pie ... 9/10002/-1

Believe me, I would have jumped on one of those one piece deals in a "New York minute" if I could but they will NOT fit this block and seal adapter.

As I said, I've run this deal since the mid 90s and never had this problem until now so hopefully if I go back to "what worked" before, I'll be good to go. ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:08 pm 

Well that's a bummer but as you said...time to go back to whats always worked.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

STILL LEAKING?!! So I guess the only way to fix it is to pull the seal adapter off and reseal that, which can't be done without pulling either the engine or tranny and even then I'm absolutely sure it will come out with the crank in the block? O:) ](*,)

It's not leaking very much so I just might try a T&T somewhere a time or two before I pull it out. It ran for about 15 minutes just now and never did put a drip on the floor, just is wet in that area and will drip sooner or later as the flywheel picks up the crap and slings it all around the bell housing.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech