Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Re: Gas Porting Pistons?
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:16 pm 

PM sent, hope it helps.

Don

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 pm 

i have been told that gas porting causes very acclerated cylinder bore wear in the upper part of the cylinder....is this true?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:42 pm 

Might depend on the block, none that I have seen in the past though.

Don

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 pm 

I got the tool from Goodson today and tried it out on a junk piston I had laying around. After I figured out how I wanted to lay out the gas ports I made a cardboard template to make marking the pistons faster and more consistent.

It probably took a 1/2 hour and 2 drill bits to drill the first 2 ports. The bit fits tight in the fixture and it doesn't take much to fill the hole and jam the bit. I found that as long as I dipped the tip of the bit in oil and backed it out 5-6 times to clear the chips I didn't break any more bits. The 3rd bit finished the piston. The other 6 holes took less than 5 minutes to do so I think this will go pretty quick now that I have it figured out. I wanted to get some better pics but the battery was going dead on the camera.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Chuck, use WD40 or kerosene for drill bit lube and yes, pull the bit out to clean the chips off FREQUENTLY! Cobalt drills will probably help with longevity. I think I used like 5 high speed steel bits on mine and broke two of the 5. The others would get dull and start making some chatter so I changed them out.

The fixture I made is held on the piston with a SS hose clamp so it took me a while to do mine.

Found out that Kowalsky only charges $85 to do these so if I have any more to do I'll just pay him to do them, or even better yet, order the pistons with them already in them. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:33 pm 

It's been a couple of weeks but the rest of the gas ports went pretty easy for me. Ken you were right, the WD-40 worked better than the oil I was using. I think it didn't cause the chips to stick to the bit like the oil did. I went through 5 bits to do 8 pistons but a couple of those were due to developing a technique. It probably took a total of 3 1/2 hours to remove the rings, clean the pistons, drill the ports and put the rings back on. I think on a new set of pistons it would take me maybe an hour and a half. I was hoping to have it back in the car by now but I still had a leak on the cyl 1 exhaust valve. I found it was leaking between the seat and head (again) so I'm having it welded up and a couple new seats installed. Hopefully I'll get it all back together next week.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech