Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Re: oil pan problem
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:50 pm 

i have been good ken,thanks for asking...i hope you and faye are doing well,i saw in another thread that you were having surgery i hope that went well.

the ohio crankshaft stuff is inexpensive overseas stuff finished here in ohio,i have everything to put it back together sitting in the living room waiting on the block to get back and the crankshaft is out getting balanced but i hope to be out in the spring,we were three passes into our nhra liscense runs when the rods came out #-o

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:57 pm 

hey rick
i have had the rods since 03,the stroke was 3.750, max rpm that they had ever seen was 7300...but i typically shifted at 6800, they were h beam,the pistons were JE with standard pins...the balance sheet says 596 grams for piston,pin and locks...the bolts were standard 8740

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

inVEGArating wrote:
...the bolts were standard 8740

Did a rod bolt break then? :-k

I ran a set of those 8740s for 9 years in the Studebaker in about the same RPM range???!!! Sold that set of rods when I built this new bullet 3 years ago. New bullet had the "good" bolts and they are still in that engine. They see 8K in the water box on a regular basis and I shift it at 7600. To be honest though I have thought about replacing them while it's down.

Kinda sounds like a freak accident deal to me?? Especially since this was a relatively short stoke engine.

Better luck next time!!! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:28 pm 

Ken it is hard to tell what broke first as there were large chunks of rod in the pan,rods 3&4 were in the pan in chunks but none of the rod bolts broke,one of the rods big ends is still hooked to the crank and the other rods big end is broke open but both bolts are still intact,my machinist said he thinks the rod broke from the bolt head into the big end.

i am hoping i wont need luck this time the new rods are billet olivers =;

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:03 pm 

i was wrong about the bolts we found this little guy hanging out in the pan...the threaded portion of the bolt is still in the rod....i guess 7 years was his lifespan,who knew #-o

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Jeff is that an 8740 (?) or a 2000 rod bolt? :-k I ran a set of 8740s in the previous build that I ran in the Studebaker for around 9 years. Got L-19s in the 18* engine though.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 pm 

They were 8740,but it is odd that the rod right beside this one was ripped to pieces but the big end stayed intact and is still hooked to the crankshaft today and both bolts are still in it....and i bet those bolts saw alot more load than the one that broke did :-k

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech