Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:50 pm 

This head was on an engine that broke a rod, chamber was damaged. Head was repaired but now I have "milk" in the valve covers.

Do we know of any chemical treatment that might seal it? Engine is still together and runs fine so I thought I could at least attempt a fix before tear down and redo.

I have a Scotty School race date in three weeks so it's a chemical fix or miss the school.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:02 pm 

K&W block sealer. http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/conte ... kseal.aspx I leave it in. Good for head stud leaks too. Just make sure there is no anti freeze in it.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm 

I have used K&W block sealer and it did a good job. I think this is the product.

Moroso makes a ceramic seal that works well too.

It seems like this stuff won't work with antifreeze so if you have any in the car it will have to be flushed out. I think you put this stuff in and run it for so long at temperature then drain the cooling system and let it set overnight.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:06 pm 

The news is good. I pulled the spark plugs and all look fine. Then used shop air in each cylinder checking for bubbles in the radiator, no problem.

The drained oil looks fine. Looks like simply a case of condensation. As Little Wheel suggested I will use the GM "tabs" for insurance.

Also, this is a new Dart Little M block with blind holes.

I was concerned about a pin hole in the welded head but looks like that concern was unfounded.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'm gonna give you one of my old stand by fixes for water leaks. If you got a leak other than in the combustion chamber, black pepper will do as good a job of sealing it as anything I know of. When the Studebaker was new it had a fan blade get caught in the custom built Griffin radiator and it put a hole in one tube. Took a pair of needle nose pliers and pinched the tube right at the hole then put in 2 table spoons of plain black pepper and it hasn't leaked a drop since, and, that was in 1992! I've also used pepper to seal up leaking freeze plugs and also a crack in an alumin BBC head that was welded and not completely fixed. The pepper will soften up then the various sizes will get pushed into the crack by system pressure when it will eventually plug the hole or crack. It works and it's cheap!! And we all know that I like cheap! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:26 pm 

I've used pepper many time while in the army. O:) My 578 with dual radiators would leak sometimes so I fill it up with a large can of pepper and it would last about 8 months. Had a 2 1/2 ton with a branch in the radiator. cut it off and added pepper and was good until I got a new radiator. =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech