Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 am 

Ok, a 540 in a heavy chassis, what head flow numbers would be the best for this application, and what would be the minimal cfm flow that a 540 could deal with? I am wondering if my Dart 325's would be worth spending the money on to have them worked to make as much torque as possible on this 540 thought! :-k

Yes, I know a lot of engines have either 335- 360, or even 380 cfm style heads on them, but a heavy chassis and these heads will need a 1/2 mile to run on, not a qtr. mile for quicker numbers. So what do you guys think would give the most torque for a 540 engine? rpm's can go as high as 8000, but the range would be 7500-7800 to target. In this case, I think smaller would be better for torque numbers to move the heavy chassis, thoughts?
Thanks

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:43 am 

How heavy is heavy? But yes, I think you'd be better off having the 325's worked on. They have been a very good head over the years. IMHO

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:22 pm 

You could always build a 600+ inch motor John......................... O:)

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:41 pm 

Coloradoracer wrote:

You want your intake or what? :-$ :-$ :-$ =; =; =;
I wish I could afford a 600 incher, that would work just fine \:D/

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 pm 

J_6961 wrote:
How heavy is heavy? But yes, I think you'd be better off having the 325's worked on. They have been a very good head over the years. IMHO

3500lbs. I am curious how much it would cost to have them opened up by the Master? RFD! My head guy wants $1200. to do it, sound to high to you guys? :-k

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:49 pm 

Elkyman wrote:
Coloradoracer wrote:

You want your intake or what? :-$ :-$ :-$ =; =; =;
I wish I could afford a 600 incher, that would work just fine \:D/

I'll be quiet now..................... O:) :-#

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:33 am 

John, You would be better off with Dennis @ Airflow Development....If you want them to be done sometime this year =; ...Curtis is a great guy and when I PM him or called him he always took the time to answer my questions...But he is bogged down with a ton of work..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:48 am 

Sure have them done by curtis but don't believe me I'am building a 509 with AFR 290cc heads looking for 770-80 Hp.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:49 am 

Yep, it's that time for engine builders, head & intake porters and everyone that races, but this will be for maybe next year or the year after, but who knows, I may win a race or two between now and then and can just buy some other heads and keep mine in stock form to either have as backup heads for a backup engine, or sell them, not sure yet on all this but I was just looking for info.

IF, I do have them worked on, I will get with Curtis and have him just work his magic, or, I have a friend in Minnesota who knows a retired guy who used to work for Sonny or someone really big with engines and he was the lead head and intake guy for some very large funded teams and my buddy said to hang on to them as he could probably get them done for a few hundred bucks, he just likes to keep up with things and stay busy, he's not interested in getting rich, but just keeping in the loop of racing and keeping his mind sharp, it tends to go dull after a while don't we all know :-

I would like to make as much power as possible with a 540 like Barry's and get as close to 1000hp and 800ftlbs of torque as possible, that is the target. Thanks for all your reply's guys and info. =D> \:D/

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 pm 

Mine went to shop Jan 4 should see it 2nd week of March :-k

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:26 am 

when you say 7500 as a target do you mean for peak HP?

What kind of valve lift are you "OK" with?

I am certainly one that will disagree with the smaller port making more TQ.

With that being said... The Dart 325 is about the best starting place you can choose.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:20 pm 

airflowdevelop wrote:
when you say 7500 as a target do you mean for peak HP?

What kind of valve lift are you "OK" with?

I am certainly one that will disagree with the smaller port making more TQ.

With that being said... The Dart 325 is about the best starting place you can choose.

The 7500 rpm is the finish line rpm I was looking to have, so if max power was a little higher than that, this would be good, no?

Well, what ever fits and leaves ample room between the piston & valves :-k , how much lift is needed, what kind of cam info can you recommend? What intake also? I have a Brodix HV 2005 Tall Deck intake to work worth so far.
I sent a pm to you, and thanks for the reply also. :-$

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:00 pm 

A couple of comments/questions ...

Why the focus on torque because of the heavy chassis? More HP will beat more TQ every time when geared properly no matter what it weighs.

Porting the 325's to 360cc will beat an OOTB 360 head. They can easily make over 900HP. A lot more if the whole engine is really maxed out.

Why have peak HP higher than 7500 if you want the finish line at 7500? Power at an rpm higher than you turn it won't make you any quicker. Normally if the highest you want to rev it is 7500 I'd suggest making the peak HP a few hundred less around 7000 to 7200rpm. To accelerate quickest you want the engine kept in the rpm range with the highest hp ... this will mean shifting above peak HP rpm and crossing the line above peak HP rpm.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:14 pm 

John, We did pour a couple of my intake ports and there 156.7 cc's...If that means anything to you =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:52 am 

rick360 wrote:
A couple of comments/questions ...

Why the focus on torque because of the heavy chassis? More HP will beat more TQ every time when geared properly no matter what it weighs.

Porting the 325's to 360cc will beat an OOTB 360 head. They can easily make over 900HP. A lot more if the whole engine is really maxed out.

Why have peak HP higher than 7500 if you want the finish line at 7500? Power at an rpm higher than you turn it won't make you any quicker. Normally if the highest you want to rev it is 7500 I'd suggest making the peak HP a few hundred less around 7000 to 7200rpm. To accelerate quickest you want the engine kept in the rpm range with the highest hp ... this will mean shifting above peak HP rpm and crossing the line above peak HP rpm.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Well, I read that a race engine really needs to have a little extra after the finish line and a lot of engine builders in the S/G, S/C and so on will all tell you this too, well, most of them, but look at S/G, I tell ya, these guys are going overboard with there engines, running 9.90 @ 170+ mph O:) O:) that is just crazy, and I am learning that a driver should be shifting around peak power rpm's in order to keep the engine in the torque/power band longer which I have not done at all, I always shifted a 6500 to 7000 and that is it and I just never shifted any higher.

Now, I have nothing set in stone as how to do things so I still want to learn things, and I have never made as much power as I am making now(which I will know what that power is in 3 weeks, dyno time \:D/ ) so, once I know these numbers, then I will know what I can do as far as shifting and so on, but I may need to make a gear change later with the 540 or even with the current 505 I run now as I am at the finish line at 8000 rpm's every time and like I said, I shift at 6500 and launch at 4800.

As far as torque vs hp, well, I can agree with your comment I guess, I don't know everything for sure, but I want to learn more, and since Torque is work, and it takes a lot of work to move my heavy chassis, I figured that the more useable torque I had the better, and I understand hp is a very strong thought, but torque gets the work done and hp keeps the weight moving and will increase, after torque begins to fall off, then and only then will hp start to really shine, but hp doesn't get a chassis moving, torque does, this is why I am looking to gain as much torque as possible, the hp will follow and be what it will be. I also know that gearing ratios can also help out too, and since I have larger tires now and a 4 link, I can manipulate more power to the ground, so those two items will help also. Also Rick, I haven't had the best of people to help me either as everybody will take your money and many will not deliver what was promised, and this is my case, but, I am finally finding the good people and the help is coming. ;-)

Of course Rick, this is all from what I have read over the years and if I had a light chassis, my engine in it would really fly, but not in my heavy chassis, just look at 40willies engine build from a 468 big chevy, 3500lb chassis going 9.60's, but he has a TH400 and I have a glide, but still he makes over 800 hp on that little engine with smaller parts, heads, intake and carb and cam profile, so it got me thinking about this with a 540 " engine.

Maybe I should start a thread about what your perfect 540 engine that you would build and the parts used and why.! :-k

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech