Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: MLS Head Gaskets?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

OK so when I built this engine 3 years ago I used Cometic MLS head gaskets. I have heard that some use them over again instead of buying new ones?? Question is, has anyone on here re-used a MLS gasket with any success?

Mine appear to have some kind of coating on them that seems to have come off in places, especially around the cylinder bores so is this stuff needed or just something put on there to help keep the gasket from rusting, etc??

Any info?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: MLS Head Gaskets?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 pm 

The coating is viton. I have a close friend that has used them over several times on a sbc with success. He sprays them with copper coat and separates the layers and sprays in between them also.

I had a set seep on my engine the first time they were used. A discussion with cometic suggested that everything being new ,studs , block , heads, etc they should have been brought to heat a few times and cooled and re torqued. That is what I did on the next set and also sprayed with copper coat. No problems

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah KY these seeped some too for a couple of weeks until they heat cycled enough to work them to the block. I did mark which side they came off of so I can put them back where they were, if I decide to use them again that is.

Did Cometic suggest the copper coat spray deal or is that just something your friend tried and it worked?

In years gone by, Chevy engines used a shim steel head gasket and I remember spraying those with silver paint prior to installing them. Was actually thinking of trying that trick again.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm 

I think we detonated mine on the dyno with a dead head fuel pump on alcohol. The thing is the cometic gaskets will not blow out like a fiber gasket and they just seep and let the head move around more than it should. The bbf only has 10 head bolts on a conventional head so that just adds to the problem.

I think My friend just used the copper coat on his own. He has been messing with sbc his entire life he is about 70 and says its interesting how technology got away from things like copper coat and is slowly coming back to them . If I remember correctly cometic suggested I use the copper coat and at the time mine was the only naturally aspirated bbf gasket failure they had had and said the copper coat might be a good idea. I personally don like to spend unneeded money , but I will not reuse gaskets on my engine I don't like having to redo things.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:42 pm 

I ran MLS on mine Ken but of the Felpro brand and I am just going to replace mine next time out, why chance it even though they cost a bunch, is it worth it later? jmo... Felpro used to have a reuseable head gasket but I don't know if they have them anymore, one key area to keep an eye on is the bolt or stud torque, and the better moly lube that ARP has out now, comes closer than any other lub. on the market for racing stuff to reach the correct bolt stretch being a head bolt/stud, rod bolt or what ever, it's the ARP ULTRA! Repeatability is almost dead on when retorqueing, and it is better than engine oil and, the older ARP moly stuff. I just saw this on one of them tv shows on Sunday am, Truck you, or one of them shows, but they did a small segment on bolt stretch and I was impressed, they used this box type thing and tested a head stud from ARP, 3 tests, 3-5 repeatability test each, and the engine oil failed dramatically and eventuall broke the stud under the nut trying to reach the needed stretch for the correct torque!, the older ARP moly was a little better, but the ULTRA darn near hit the stretch mark and was 500flb. off Target of 18,500lbs of torque. Just some food for thought. Good luck which every way you go.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech