Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Re: Jet Hot Coating
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:07 am 

I hate to say anything bad about any one, but I do have experience I can share. Don't hold your breath (or base your purchase) about Jet Hot Paying or giving you any support. I was never paid for some IHRA races. They got me, One time!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:16 pm 

Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday a fellow racer at my favorite machine shop said the same thing.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:55 am 

You know, I got to thinking again about my headers/collectors and I called Nitroplate and asked them my questions. Good service and vert informative people, and I talked with Kevin, but my 3 questions were this, how thick was the coating when all said & done, and if my evac diaphram will screw right back onto my male pipe from the collector? and he said yes, the diaphram will screw right back on to the pipe thread and I shouldn't have a problem, and the next part was a little more involved and I wanted to know if anyone else ran into this issue;
now, I have very tight tolerances between my tubes and collector and the coating thickness is about a half a thousandths thick, and I think I will have an issue with gauling and messing up the finish removing and reinstalling the headers(nature of the beast with this sport) and he suggested either Antisieze, or get this, Chapstick!!! O:) very cool idea, but I mentioned to him, and this is a question for you guys also, would, or could a muffler shop expand my collector tubes about a 1/32, or even as small as 1/64 of an inch larger than they currently are? I just don't want to run into problems in this area and I know it will be an issue on my headers as they just suck to take apart and reinstall the collectors even with all the header tubes bolted to the heads but with all the bolts loose so they somewhat line up for the collector tubes. I tell ya, mine are really tight and I need a mallot to remove or install the collectors, so I was looking for some info and hopefully some help. Any reply is welcomed, and thanks ahead of time =;

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:00 am 

Why do you need to take them off??? Or maybe you can't get them out of the car with them on??? Mine were a little tough getting on but anti-sneeze =; helped out but I don't plan on taking them off in the near future..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:19 am 

Hey Barry,

Thanks for the reply, and IF, I knew I would never take my headers off again, I would just weld them all up as one piece, but, unfortunetly things do happen, and my headers need coated badly cause I paid too much for them to get made custom to fit my chassis and head port design and tall deck block too. They are piece headers and they have to be removed individually to get them off, and one at a time due to my stock chassis in front. The other reason is when I do a trans removal, it makes it a ton easier to remove it, and when changing torque convertors too it will help later on. Trust me Barry, if I never had to take them off again, that would be a blessing in disguise for me \:D/ but, not going to happen. Plus, when I do an engine freshin up or engine change later on, they will still have to come off and go back on. I need a tube chassis like you =; \:D/ \:D/ that would cure all the problems for sure.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:34 am 

Ok then what I would do then is just have the tubes coated and just paint the collectors.. that way if the collectors rot off they will be way less expensive to replace than the tubes ;-) .....What do you think of that =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:55 am 

Hahaha, funny, I thought of that too Barry ;-) I could always get a roll sand paper of some course grit and sit down and sand the ends of the tubes also, boy, would THAT take some time!!! :-

Beretta wrote:
Ok then what I would do then is just have the tubes coated and just paint the collectors.. that way if the collectors rot off they will be way less expensive to replace than the tubes ;-) .....What do you think of that =;

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:03 pm 

I would not do anything to the ends of the tubes..Just coat them..I would sand the inside of the collector tubes if anything...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:10 pm 

John you should be able to get a muffler shop to bump the ID on those collectors a little but even 1/64 would be way too much IMO. (I have been doing exhaust work for a long time) If that's what you plan to do take a header with you too and have them barley bump it a little at a time until you get an easy fit. The expander can be indexed to repeat the size as long as the operator knows how to do it. You have to be careful who does this because you can't shrink it back down. You don't want to make it too loose or the bolt tabs will keep breaking.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:33 pm 

Thanks gearhead1011, I just tossed out some numbers, and yes, the key to this is to find the right guy to do this, and it won't take much either, ahh the joy's of racing :-$
Hey gearhead, you have a pm =;

John

gearhead1011 wrote:
John you should be able to get a muffler shop to bump the ID on those collectors a little but even 1/64 would be way too much IMO. (I have been doing exhaust work for a long time) If that's what you plan to do take a header with you too and have them barley bump it a little at a time until you get an easy fit. The expander can be indexed to repeat the size as long as the operator knows how to do it. You have to be careful who does this because you can't shrink it back down. You don't want to make it too loose or the bolt tabs will keep breaking.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:39 pm 

I just found the solution to my possible problem, check this little gizmo out, PERFECT! =; \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

http://www.jcwhitney.com/muffler-and-pi ... map=14125G

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:51 pm 

It goes without saying, but I have to say it anyway, if you're going to get them expanded, definitely have the guy practice on scrap tubing to make sure he can get the fit you want.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:48 pm 

Nitro Plate did my headers. Very Happy!!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:16 pm 

bigfoot385 wrote:
Nitro Plate did my headers. Very Happy!!

Thanks bigfoot, looks like a real nice job on them tubes \:D/

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:58 pm 

Nitro plate is in a league all by its self when it comes to coating headers and intakes and anything else you want coated. I have probably 10 sets of headers that they coated for me in the early days and I use them on my dyno for all brake ins and baseline figure. I did all the early testing of their coating on intakes and headers on my dyno and was surprised with the results, but the biggest surprise came with HP increase in both cases. Since then I have probably had 50+ sets of headers and intakes done and have been greatly "tickled" with what has been done. You will be hard pressed to find a better person to work with than Kevin(Rat Turd) Cradduck. He himself is a racear and understands our needs and will bend over backwards to help you. If you have any questions and I can help, PM me or ask or call 615-893-1665
racear

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech