Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Engine Is Out!
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Not to be a smart a$$ but do you have the by pass plugged where the filter screws on?? If that a regular Napa gold filter that can be your issue.

There is no GM filter mount piece on my block so there's no bypass to plug. I've got an external filter setup that goes along with the accumulator I run. There's direct in and out lines and there's NO bypass.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:26 pm 

Sorry to here of your problem,i have some napa gold filters if you need 1,thats what i run.steve

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Steve but I run this filter, which has no internal bypass, ie, all the oil going through it gets filtered.

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-o ... 51647.html

The NAPA part number is 1647 but it's the same filter made for NAPA by Wix. And did I mention that they are kinda pricey at $14 each at the NAPA store in Appomattox? ;-)

I'll get one Monday and see how it goes but as I said before, I'm betting on the relief valve in the pump.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:52 pm 

I was told several years ago the NAPA Gold was too restrictive for high performance use. I friend of mine that used to roundy-round race had some issues with them.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:12 am 

i always herd that about fram,ive been running the napa golds for ever in my nos engines,guess ive been lucky!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:03 am 

WELL THAT'S A BUMMER!!! #-o But, on the brights side, you may have saved a VERY expensive engine rebuild too ;-) Let us know what you find and I am sure you will, good luck Ken.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:41 am 

Ken, If you can find a Wix 51061R filter give it a try.

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:45 am 

if it's not the filter then I'm with you on the oil pump bypass being highly suspected.

Of course it could be that shop towel you forgot in the lower end covering the pickup.... [-o<

Check the old filter for particles though. Where are you picking up your pressure for your gauge? Could be something in the line to and from the remote filter. I'd check all that out pretty good before pulling also. Oil line could have collapsed on the inside. Depends on their age I guess.

Don

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Don it was a different line and gauge that I tried and it read the same pressure that the one mounted in the car read. Oil pressure gauge is connected in the normal SBC location at the top rear of the engine block. The gauge in the car has a -4 braided line running to it.

Remember I told you guys that I had found a crack in the windage tray when I had the pan off? It got welded up, cleaned out then the pan was put back on the engine. I got a sneaky feeling that one of those little BBs that get created during the welding process has found it's way into that relief valve. Yeah I cleaned it out the best I could but them damn things can find lots of places to hide and engine vibrations can probably loosen them up again. This is why I'm leaning toward the oil pump relief bypass.

We shall find out something early this week. Damn shame too as that reseal I did on that oil pan didn't leak a drop.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:18 am 

Actually I was wondering about the lines to and from the oil filter. But was wondering where you were taking the pressure reading.

Don

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Well it's good news and bad news. Bad news is that filter is now $15.99 plus tax from my local NAPA store. Good news is I just started that thing and saw 80 psig on the gauge @ 3000 rpm cold so I guess it was the filter. \:D/

To be honest, that one had been on the engine for 2 years so I'm guessing that methanol fuel in the oil might have horked the inside of it up a bit. Found a source online for under $9 so I guess I'll order a couple of those and change them more often.

This thing really had me worried as the only other thing of major concern was that I had changed the cam bearings in it due to the machining of the lifter bores. I was having second thoughts and somewhat worried that a cam bearing has spun from all that 800 lb spring pressure on those new bearings. I guess I installed them right though.

DAYUMN, I think I'll celebrate and have a beer. After all, it's after 5pm SOMEWHERE! \:D/

We'll try again next weekend.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm 

$7.50 by the case
http://www.cfsco.net/raapsponlufi.html

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:10 pm 

I guess being frugual almost cost a lot. :-k Glad to hear that was the problem. =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:

That filter I run is made by Wix for NAPA and the Wix part number is 51647. I found a source for them online @ $8 something plus shipping each so I can live with that and don't have to by 12 at a time. Remember, I'm cheap! ;-)

That's a 21 micron filter that flows between 7-9 GPM and has no bypass but does have a drain back valve, which I need where this filter is mounted.

Up to this point they have worked very well. I just need to change it more often I guess.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm 

Your saying that you put the same filter back on your just freshened motor that was on it all last year #-o #-o #-o O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech