Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Engine Is Out!
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

PB and I pulled the engine out of the Camaro today. I've got several things on my winter agenda and one will be to have the lifter bores redone, ie, either take them oversize and run the .905 Chrysler lifters or bronze bush them and put the Chebby lifters back. Was wondering if anyone on here has had any of this stuff done and if so what was the cost.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Engine Is Out!
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:11 pm 

Ken, I had mine done with the new bullet. Was told not necessary to use bushing. ...I used dogbone lifters from Jesel and went with the 937's with the 850 wheel.
Cost for the operation was $400.... I had Weston Machine right here in NJ.

http://www.westonmachine.com/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Barry, the reason I mentioned bushings is because I have to run offset lifters with these 18* heads and I'm not sure they are available in the .250 offset in the Chrysler diameter. Will have to see what is available I guess.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:22 pm 

Be aware that altering the roller diameter alters the valve motion by a little bit.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 pm 

I'm thinking of doing that with my motor as well, since I haven't bought lifters yet. Can get it done here for $350, no bushings. I think it's another $100 if I want bushings. One thing to keep in mind is that when they bore them, they can offset the bore to correct geometry, within reason. Why not just run .904" lifters? You can get them offset.

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:20 am 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
Be aware that altering the roller diameter alters the valve motion by a little bit.

Yeah, I already knew that but I'm way short of max on anything anyway so it probably won't matter. Of course I could always do a cam change while it's down, hey! :-k The main reason for the lifter upgrade is longevity but then again, the ones I have now have 3 years on'em and only one has been replaced and then not because it failed.

This engine has done so well the last 3 years I might as well see if I can kill it, right. It's been real happy up around 7600 or so to date so 8K or 8400 shouldn't matter. \:D/

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 am 

A few of mine were off some but over all they were not bad..

Ken ever think about the EZ roll Iskeys??? There is quiet a few guys
here using them with good results. In fact there is one guy I know that
has over 400 runs on them in a BBC and there going back in for next
season O:) ..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Louis Styles (local guy) has an engine that is very similar to mine. Several years back Kowalsky freshened that thing up after 700+ passes and it had the same Crower lifters and Manley springs that I have. So I guess my first phone call will be to Crower to see what they have in a larger body offset lifter. If they don't have'em then I'll look at what Isky and others have too.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:30 am 

I thought about doing this to my new block too just for the reason of making everything straight and inline better with the valve train. Some say it is not needed, but what is easier to repair/replace if it has an issue caused by the lifter or other debris??? I would think it is a more common process with the technology now a days to just add the bronze liners, guess not with the better machining out there now. I would still like to do it though for longevity as well.

Jesel has the offset lifters too Ken in the 904 size I beileve, don't forget about them, they make some really nice stuff which you probably already know.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Admin

UPDATE: I talked to Crower last week. They have lifters that will work in both .874 and .903 diameters. Logical step would be to go to the .874 size and save that extra material for a .903 later if something happens that I need to do that. That way I won't have to pay the extra money for bushings but still have that option after the .903, if I ever need it.

The engine is still together and I won't pull it down for a few weeks yet as I have some elective outpatient surgery to get done in the next few weeks that will leave me with stitches for a while. Not sure how much I'll want to do during that time. We will see I guess.

Two major items for this rebuild. Over size on the lifters and a new Edelbrock two piece single carb intake. Yup, we're going back to the "Ken" prepared 1150 Dominator next year! The way I see it now, by the time I add the cost of new rod bolts, rings, bearings, timing chain, gaskets and a valve job, I'm going to be about $3000 poorer next spring! O:)

Tell me again why I still do this? O:) ](*,)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:52 pm 

Because you love it!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:37 am 

So Ken, what happened to the tunnel ram deal? I am curious as to what happened with all that stuff??? :-k

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Elkyman wrote:
So Ken, what happened to the tunnel ram deal? I am curious as to what happened with all that stuff??? :-k

John

That deal didn't work out like I expected it to. Essentially dual carbs = double trouble and I've come to realize that it's counterproductive with a bracket engine.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:59 am 

Gotcha, funny, my cyl. head guy mentioned that a tunnel ram and two carbs would make my car go faster O:) I said what? spend another $1500. to have more problems!!! I don't think soo #-o
Guess you proved the "KISS THEORY" really does work =;

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

My new Edelbrock Victor Glidden intake spider was delivered yesterday. Ron Owens says that it will take 7 to 10 days to get the base though as no one had it in stock so he's going to let me know when it's shipped. Bad thing about it is that I've been so sick I haven't even opened the box yet!!! O:) Yeah, it's been that bad!!! O:)

Faye's "brood" will be here tomorrow evening for their Christmas get together so I'll get run out into the shop. May do a trial fit on the heads then too.

Got to get cracking on this thing or I'll get caught with my pants down when the season starts up in March.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech