Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: How big?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:46 am 

At what point, or how long of a stroke, would a tall deck block be required? Or maybe the question is how many cubes can I get from a low deck block? I just dont know much about these big blocks. And everything I knew about small blocks is about 25 yrs old.
I need some more schooling.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: How big?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:02 am 

I've seen several low deck 588's and 598's out there, but that's just too short of a piston IMHO. I wouldn't go beyond 565" (4.25" stroke, 4.600" bore) or a 572 (one way here is a 4.625" bore and 4.25" stroke) with a standard deck. A better 572 would be a 4.500" bore and 4.500" stroke in a tall deck. Reason I like the taller decks on bigger motors is because of the pin height on the piston. The longer stroke moves the pin bore up closer to the ring pack. Sooner or later the pin height on your piston is going to be very short depending on your combo, and I'm not a big fan of super short pin heights. Only way around this is a shorter con rod, but that also leads to other issues, like excessive side loading of the piston on the cylinder wall during power stroke and to a certain extent on compression stroke which can cause frictional hp losses and excessive wear on both piston skirts and cylinder walls.

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:04 am 

You know Dennis, if your wanting to go reeeeeeal fast, that 565" is a good deal when built with the right heads, intake and camshaft :-k so toss that size around also. Not trying to trump you coloradoracer at all, but I have seen these 565's in action (in heavy door cars/full factory frames even) and they make some really good power for a minimal price for a build up.

One thing Dennis is (and I can't remember who's bolck your running) but a step up to either a Dart block or Brodix with whatever you can afford basically, and start with that foundation and few ways you can go also;

1. Short stroke, Hugh bore

2. Meduim to long stroke, Hugh bore

3. Long stroke, Hugh bore for max size, but then limited for growth later on. There are surely in between size combo's as well that guys on here may have experience with also.

The heads will be the big cost for ya as rotating assemblies are fairly price nowadays unless you want the top dollar stuff O:) then get the plastic out for that stuff \:D/

I would think that, with a 540, 555, 565, or a 572 you would do quite well with making over 1000 hp and around 750-800 ftlbs. of torque with alcohol, but you can also talk with Ken on Alky too ;-) and at this point, I am not sure on this but it seems Ron's Flyin Toilets are very user friendly or a good setup Dominator, but I myself would go for Port injection and run the Enderle stuff, or even Kinsler which are in MY backyard :-$ Now, if you wanted Nostalgia, I would run the uneven length injection stacks and set it on kill, and it would look killer in your chassis too \:D/ \:D/

There's a few guys on here thar run alsk, just ask for info. ;-)

It's PARTS BUYIN TIME FOR SOME ONE HERE! \:D/

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:55 pm 

I am just asking for my own curiosity as to how big. I have a 522 and a 540 each with Dart blocks. Brodix heads on the 522, Darts on the 540. The 540 will be in next year. I am always looking for options. I set goals for myself. When I got back into racing I wanted to run in the 8's at faster than 150mph. My final licensing run was 8.51 at 158 mph. My next goal was to win a round. Didnt take long. It will take me longer to win a race. Newest goal is to run in the 7's. I am working on cutting weight on the car and fat driver. Car was 1950 w/driver. I can bring it down to 1875 easy enough. A slight gear change, more cubes, alcohol, Rons injection. It will happen this year. I have always met my goals. By the way, no nitrous. I have no interest in it.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:38 am 

Short decks I've seen a few 605ci stuff 4.625 bore and 4.5 stroke. A 598 seems to be the new deal for short decks that everyone wants. IMO a 582 4.60 bore and 4.375 stroke is hard to beat in a low deck motor. There is no question they make more power then the 565 4.25 stroke setup. Its very easy to make 1000+ hp without much effort with todays heads and cam profiles and still be easy on parts. I have a 582 with nothing more then what Id call out of box parts and runs 7.4/5's @ 2015lbs. This is low on rpms and easy on parts. Good Luck in your chasing the win and 7's sounds like your not far of of either.

Here is a few Dyno Sheets to check out first is my 582

2nd is a std 565 from my engine Builder.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:05 pm 

Dennis, check out BES engines in Indiana, I have a friend that has a 565 in his 3500lb chevelle that runs low 9's with a 1050 carb, but he cuts it back to run 10 flat in NMCA NMC class and they require a 4150 only. I think he said it makes around 1025hp but I can get with him if needed for more info. There website is www.besengines.com I know a lot of shops can build an engine that is capable of hitting the numbers needed to run 7's. Check out RM engines too, they build some nice stuff. www.rehermorrison.com and they have a nice selection of engines over 1000hp and in the 800ftlb. torque range, and Alcohol engines too =; \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Good luck buddy ;-)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech