Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:13 pm 

blasttime wrote:
Great job well done =D> Looks like the devil is in the details :- With the right encouragement your builder may create more HP next year [-( When you become bored again Good luck.

Thanks! It wasn't a matter of boredom but more a matter of the engine was tired and needed a freshen-up. My builder chose to refine what I already had and make it a little better. I'm still running the same cam and converter and heads which are the "brains" of the combo.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 pm 

I like it!!!!

In this day and age of bracket racing, and trying to make everything repeat the same et over, and over, ya just gotta like someone just trying to lower the ET!!

Since this is engine tech,( a place where ideas are exchanged) I would guess that means you will be more than happy to tell what was done to the heads??

Also, I'd have liked to see the engine pulled a little higher rpm on the dyno, just to see where it nosed over on power.

I'm thinking there's a little more ET, there with some more tuning.

How much weight will the cage add?

Are you planning on staying with the same converter, and gear?

Got room under that hood for a dominator?

Good job, Garret !!
I hope you don't mind, but I've spread the word up in this area =; !!

Randy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:57 pm 

randy355 wrote:
I like it!!!!

In this day and age of bracket racing, and trying to make everything repeat the same et over, and over, ya just gotta like someone just trying to lower the ET!!

Since this is engine tech,( a place where ideas are exchanged) I would guess that means you will be more than happy to tell what was done to the heads??

Also, I'd have liked to see the engine pulled a little higher rpm on the dyno, just to see where it nosed over on power.

I'm thinking there's a little more ET, there with some more tuning.

How much weight will the cage add?

Are you planning on staying with the same converter, and gear?

Got room under that hood for a dominator?

Good job, Garret !!
I hope you don't mind, but I've spread the word up in this area =; !!

Thank you! I'd say there is probably a tenth or so in there with some crisp air and some engine tuning.

Basically, all the work done on the heads was done on the short turn radius. The heads were picked up 20-25 cfm and now flow is 380-ish @ .700. The mid lift numbers were also improved some also.

The cage will not add any weight and in all likelyhood I'll lose some weight going from an 8 pt mild steel bar to a 10 pt chrome moly cage. :-$

I'm not planning to change the gear or converter. They both work so well I'd hate to change them.

I'd have to change the hood to try a dominator but I've heard some good things about the new Pro Systems SV!.

Feel free to "spread the word". LOL. \:D/ You should have seen the looks on a few faces when folks were asking me about the combo and I told them it's a 468. I was getting some blanks looks of disbelief. :-k LOL =;

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:16 pm 

I didn't think you had a 8 point cage now. I was thinking it was a 6 point.

So i guess a certified cage, and driver is next?

How much dynoing did you do? Found best jetting/timing?

Any guess how much was taken out of the heads? Different valve job?

I've seen that roll the eyes look before when you tell someone what your running/vs the et. Kinda tells you your on the right track don't it??

Randy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:19 pm 

randy355 wrote:
I didn't think you had a 8 point cage now. I was thinking it was a 6 point.

So i guess a certified cage, and driver is next?

How much dynoing did you do? Found best jetting/timing?

Any guess how much was taken out of the heads? Different valve job?

I've seen that roll the eyes look before when you tell someone what your running/vs the et. Kinda tells you your on the right track don't it??

Yep, looking at a certified cage and getting driver certified.

The engine was dyno'ed in the thin 8000 foot air of Colorado so I'm basically having to relearn what it wants for the elevation and altitude we run in back here. We made quite a few pulls on it and it made the most power at 41 degrees of advance. Of course what an engine wants on the dyno and what it wants in the car going down the track can be different.

The heads are still under 310 cc and yes they got a fresh valve job with slightly different angles.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:36 pm 

i think that engine makes a ton of power considering the intake volume, 4150 holley and small camshaft your running. showes that bigger is not necessarily better. my old 468 ran a best of 9.69 at 135. it was 3200 lbs 272 278 on 112 , 12 to 1 ,1050 with old brodix heads320 cc

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech