Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: WHAT LIFTER DO I HAVE
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 pm 

here's the deal;;;a friend bought a 429bbf engine from someone and i put it in his 58 rachero for him;;he was told it had a solid lift cam in it..i got in car and started it with open headers..ran good in garge//took fuel good and everything seem good..loaded on trailer and had exhaust put on..with exhaust could hear valves rattle way to much and started popping though carb..pulled covers off and found 6 rockers off center of springs and those push rods bent..one completely in lifter valley...pulled intake and pulled lifter out of hole...
LIFTER;;has oil hole in middle of lifter;;;top of lifter can see it has piston inside lifter;;;on 3 lifters so far i've checked you can push the piston in and out of inside lifter[
I'M SAYING THESE ARE HYD LIFTERS;;;ARE THEY OR ARE THEY SOLIDS THAT HASN'T PUMPED UP SOLID?BEEN SO MANY YEARS I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT A SOLID LOOKS LIKE;;ALSO CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG BUT ISN'T A WAY TO TELL DIFFERANCE IS THE SOLID HAS OIL HOLE AT LOWER HALF OF LIFTER UNDER THE LIFTER PISTON;;;AND HYD OIL HOLE IS IN MIDDLE OF LIFTER AND MIDDLE OF PISTON..

WHAT LIFTER DO I HAVE HERE?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:29 pm 

If you can bleed it down it's not a solid lifter. A solid lifter does not need "pumped up", it's solid out of the box.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

One of the tricks a local Late Model engine builder use to do was make a hydraulic lifter a solid lifter, ie, he would have a solid piece inside the lifter to replace the spring and check valve so that the lifter was actually solid but a short travel hydraulic at the same time since oil pressure would take the lash out at idle. That way he could run a solid lifter cam with a hydraulic lifter that actually wasn't. Valve lash adjustments had to be done with the engine off.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:57 am 

I one time had a crower race cam that had solid lifters made from hydrolic lifters, you had to squeeze the lifter to adjust it, it was easy you only had to take up the spring pressure in the lifter as it did not pump up.. so if you can squeeze it by hand and make your adjustments this may be what you have if you are not sure buy new lifters and rebrake in the cam..

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 am 

X2

To be safe and to know for sure, I would replace the pushtubes(check for length also for correctness in length and roller to valve stem setup as you want this area perfect to live long) and the whole set of lifters, that way you will have it all correct, just have to spend a little cash in this area. How does the cam look? Let us know what you do. ;-)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech