Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Super Victor plenum work
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:05 pm 

Thought I would open up the plenum on a 4500 super victor for a small block. I used the bridgeport at my machinist to rough cut it then hand blended the runners. We should have the car back at the track in a couple of weeks to see what difference it may make. It's something I have been wanting to try.
This is after rough cut- you can see the lip at the bottom where it tapered to originally.
Bottom two throttle bores blended.
Finished- 4 hours later :-
The camera angle makes it look more woppyjawed than it actually is O:)
I don't know how this post is gonna turn out, it's the first time I have posted pictures......

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:42 am 

I would be interested to here how this worked out for you and if it picked up performance any...I know of another guy that has done this exact same thing to a BB manifold..... #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:00 pm 

Well did it work better or not??? Talk to us =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:39 pm 

Well, yes it did! We ran the car last sunday as a matter of fact. I was kinda hesitant to post,trying to figure it all out. In all my years of working on cars,I have never saw such a transformation. And I swear, all I did was port the intake. This car, an old back halved ladder bar 71 camaro bracket car, has never looked particularly good on the launch.(we've never took the time to really check anything as the driver-owner only runs it maybe 10 times a year) It would just snatch the front tires up 16 inches or so & fall right back down. And this was leaving at 4600 on the 2-step, as anything less, the 60' would drop off. We had 60' at 1.32 once but most of the time around 1.36 with et's at 6.24 to 6.28. It just acted a little lazy to me? Well, we get to the track & unloaded and I tell the driver(owner) that we're gonna leave everything just like it was before. When he let go of the transbrake button, the front end started lofting up.....kept coming up....'til about 4-5 feet high....toted them out to about 75 feet....set down gently,didn't even bounce....& ran a 6.101....with a 1.26 60'. I was in shock. It looked like a Super Stock leaving, the slow gentle lofting. Compared to the ProMods I'm used to seeing leave anyway. Needless to say the driver was happy. We tried it again... 60'- 1.30 (turned a tire) et-6.108 Same wheelie. We backed the 2-step down to 3000 & it ran a 6.14 with a 1.30 60'. I wouldn't let him make anymore hard passes until we have time to check the ladder bar ends, as they are probably 20 years old & they don't have the safety loops on the end. We need to go over the whole car now. I'm still trying to figure it out, it's just hard to believe. Let's hear some theories! The engine is a standard issue 406 with 227 AFRs & a Herbert roller. BUT, it has a 2 circuit 9375! =;

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 pm 

No that sounds good!! Did you change jets or anything on the carb??Did you use any type of spacer or reversion plate???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:28 pm 

Nothing changed on the carb. No spacers at all, I still want to try that. Initial timing the same. AND, I knew I would forget to post something else in the equation.... the car only picked up 1/2 mph in the traps. For it to leave so much harder it didn't mph much more. So either it's not making much more peak hp or we have other issues preventing it from doing so. My LM-2 isn't working right now so I have no data. I made the comment to the driver, I wonder what kinda rpms it's turning out the back door, he says I don't know, my grin is blocking my vision. I wish we had a playback tach in this one!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:18 am 

What you did looks very much like the HVH Brodix intake I had on the other motor I had...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:52 pm 

Beretta wrote:
What you did looks very much like the HVH Brodix intake I had on the other motor I had...

You had this on your 472 Barry? what kind of rpm's were you hitting with this one and what size carb?

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:59 pm 

John, it had a 1050 on it and shifting at 7000 and going through the lites at 7200..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:15 am 

UPDATE: We ran the car last nite in cold air - 5.996 ...60'-1.25...leaving at 3600 rpm :-$

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:42 am 

BarryW wrote:
UPDATE: We ran the car last nite in cold air - 5.996 ...60'-1.25...leaving at 3600 rpm :-$

Try leaving at 4000 =; ...Did you try a shear plate??? They seem to like them ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:37 am 

It's a 2-day event & today we're gonna leave a little harder. Last night on the cold track it was skating quite a bit, so I said let's wait til tomorrow with some heat in the track. All we did since last outing was tighten up the front end a little. Haven't had time for any spacer or shear plate testing but that is next on our list.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:21 pm 

Nice results BarryW. That really waked it up. Is the converter stalling more since the intake mods?

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:29 pm 

Well, we got 3 passes in yesterday. Track was actually worse than Friday nite :- We tried leaving at 4600 but that didn't work, got squirrely 150' out. Best e.t. of the day was 6.06. We gots to work on the chassis now. Rick, I don't know if its stalling higher but I would assume so because it acts like its got so much more bottom to mid torqe. I haven't actually drove it yet. The driver/owner is a 21 year old that only knows how to mat it & let off the button & hold on! =; I can tell more about it by listening & watching than asking him! =; Anyway it's all fun. I think we're gonna gear it up a little to calm it down......in preparation for the blue bottle! ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:14 pm 

Beretta wrote:

Come on Barry, you should sell this intake to me =; =; alone that is \:D/ is this a tall deck or short deck intake?

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech