Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: CSI/CSR Water Pumps
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Got one of these that I've had for EONS. It was originally bought back in 1993 or so for the Studebaker and so far it's been on 3 different engines in 4 different cars. Over the years it puked a seal and started leaking. I called CSI and bought a new motor assembly that had a new type mechanical seal in it rather than a regular lip seal. That one has lasted for about 6 or 8 years but started leaking last weekend. I had seen some water under the engine for a couple of weeks but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Ennywhoot, last Friday night I saw a puddle under it and found that the pump seal was leaking.

I contacted Ron Owens to buy another motor not knowing that there was a seal kit available for this pump. Ron couldn't locate a pump motor assembly and said most of his sources said they were on back order so I called CSR direct and found out that the seal kit was available. I ordered one and installed it yesterday and all is well again. Ron knows about this now so he can get those if you need one. You can install the new seal kit in about an hour and the cost is around $35 shipped. There's a couple of "tricks" to doing this so if you ever need to install one let me know and I'll tell you how to save yourself about 45 minutes work! =; Yup, I did it the wrong way first! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: CSI/CSR Water Pumps
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:33 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Got one of these that I've had for EONS. It was originally bought back in 1993 or so for the Studebaker and so far it's been on 3 different engines in 4 different cars. Over the years it puked a seal and started leaking. I called CSI and bought a new motor assembly that had a new type mechanical seal in it rather than a regular lip seal. That one has lasted for about 6 or 8 years but started leaking last weekend. I had seen some water under the engine for a couple of weeks but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Ennywhoot, last Friday night I saw a puddle under it and found that the pump seal was leaking.

I contacted Ron Owens to buy another motor not knowing that there was a seal kit available for this pump. Ron couldn't locate a pump motor assembly and said most of his sources said they were on back order so I called CSR direct and found out that the seal kit was available. I ordered one and installed it yesterday and all is well again. Ron knows about this now so he can get those if you need one. You can install the new seal kit in about an hour and the cost is around $35 shipped. There's a couple of "tricks" to doing this so if you ever need to install one let me know and I'll tell you how to save yourself about 45 minutes work! =; Yup, I did it the wrong way first! ;-)

Musta had a billet Red one..lol

I bought a seal kit 2 months ago for mine.
22.00 bucks and bought local.

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

traysvega wrote:

Musta had a billet Red one..lol

I bought a seal kit 2 months ago for mine.
22.00 bucks and bought local.

Yeah that's what mine was plus $12 for UPS.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Oh and BTW, the serial number on my CSI pump is P045! O:)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:46 am 

Sounds like I should get a kit and keep it in my trailer as My pump is going on 5 years old now :- ..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Sounds like I should get a kit and keep it in my trailer as My pump is going on 5 years old now :- ..

If you know what you are doing, you can change that seal in about a half an hour. Yeah, it would be "doable" at the track for sure. When mine started leaking it was just drips. I wrapped a rag around it (diaper) and zip tied that on and went racing as I had towed 90 miles to get to the track and I'll be damned if I was going to turn around and go back home with zero time slips. It never did leak enough to saturate the rag so I was good to go. A man has to do what a man has to do sometimes! ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:33 pm 

I'd love to know how you did it Ken, and pics would be nice too. I have one that I'll be running on my new motor and it's sat for quite a while. Works great, but not sure about the seal. I'd rather know now than later on at the track........................

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Just an FYI for you guys. The really old pumps had a lip seal on the motor shaft and the impeller was held on with a set screw. The new replacement motors have what is known as a "mechanical seal" in'em that works much better and lasts longer. You can tell if you have one of with the "mechanical seal" if there is NO set screw in the impeller. You have to "un-screw" the impeller (right hand thread) to get the plate off with the seal in it. If you stick a 1/16 inch allen wrench into one of the mounting holes on the motor at an angle you can lock up the motor so you can turn the impeller off. If the armature comes out of the brushes then the brushes will come out of the holes. If this happens, get yourself a few paper clips, push the brush back into the hole them put one of the paper clips in the small hole at the top to hold it in place while you reassemble it.

Another thing to be careful of is not to run the motor dry. If you do this then it will over heat the seal and cause it to fail. As long as water and or antifreez/water is around it it will help lubricate it and cool it.

If your pump has a cork gasket between the motor and the housing and it gets horked up, then just use some RTV in place of the gasket.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:10 am 

Ken, do you now when the switch from the set screw to the threaded shaft??
Or does it not matter as the seal is the same :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Ken, do you now when the switch from the set screw to the threaded shaft??
Or does it not matter as the seal is the same :-k

Barry NO, I don't know what S/N the change was made. The old motor that was in my pump actually came apart inside. The magnets were epoxied in and when it started leaking the epoxy let go and the magnets came loose so I had to replace the motor, which came with the new type seal. The old pumps had a regular lip seal that worked OK but not as long as the mechanical seal does. The new type mechanical seal WILL NOT fit the old style pumps.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 pm 

Do u have to run the billet alloy plate with a CSR pump. Or can you bolt it straight onto the original timing cover on the cleveland.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:11 am 

CSI ones for a cleveland dont line up . If you run it on original timing cover u have to modify the hole and weld a bit in.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech