Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: What to do?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:05 am 

We are running a solid flat tappet cam. We have been running Castrol GTX 20-50. No issues. Jakee and I talked about switching to a lighter oil and maybe pick it up a little. We are thinking of trying Muscle Car & Street Rod Engine Oil: 10W-30 from Comp Cams or 10W30 castrol edge. Which of these would be better? The price is about the same. Or should I use Castol GTX 10-30?

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject: Re: What to do?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:24 pm 

Steve thats exactly what I use is Castrol gtx 10-30 Spring/fall,10w-40 mid summer..Annnnd knock on wood have never ever had an issue.I have always run castrol in EVERY motor I've ever built .. =; or ran.I know theres more expensive maybe better oil out there.,but with no issues I aint about to change. \:D/

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

API SM/CJ-4 motor oil and flat tappet cam is a recipe for disaster. Call a reputable engine builder and ask them what oil to run with a flat tappet cam. My bet is that you're going to get answers that say API CI-4 or SJ/CF. New oil, ie, stuff that's been out there for the last 2 or 3 years is junk for a flat tappet race motor. Brad Penn is good as are a couple of the Harley Davidson oils made by Mobile 1 and a couple of other refiners, which is what I've got in the Camaro engine right now. Roller tappet engines can get by with the new stuff but flat tappet cams in race engines require something different than what is available today.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 pm 

I would either go with Brad Penn or Comp's Oil. As Ken was saying, if it says it's catalytic converter safe- it's not flat tappet safe! Another reason I like rollers. =;

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:27 am 

Thanks Guys I was thinking the same thoughts. The comp cams oil or doing the castrol like Tray.

I sent a e-mailing to Royal Purple to answer some questions. This is the conversation.

Me:

Hello, My question is we run a flat tappet cam in a Chevy Malibu Wagon bracket car and Nostalgia Muscle Car index class with the NMCA. It has a 383 n/a motor. Right now we run Castrol GTX 20/50. My son and I are thinking of going to a lighter oil, maybe synthetic. How are the properties of Royal Purple in relation to a flat tappet cam? I keep hearing Zinc levels are dropping in regular oil. It has a 570/590 lift cam and single valve springs so the open pressure is about 300lbs. Thanks for your time, Steve

Royal Purple:

Good Afternoon Mr. Weigl,

For your engine we have 3 oils that should work out for you while allowing you to safely run a lighter viscosity oil. Our standard SAE 10W-40 should offer plenty of anti-wear additive (ZDDP) to cam your cam happy. A better choice would be one of our XPR extreme performance and racing oils. From this product line I recommend the XPR 5W-30 or the XPR 10W-40. The XPR oils offer the highest level of protection and performance available.

- Royal Purple SAE 10W-40 (part #01140, quart bottle)

- Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 (part #01021, quart bottle)

- Royal Purple XPR 10W-40 (part #01041, quart bottle)

Thanks for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Best Regards,
Christopher Barker

Me:

Thanks for the quick reply and recommendations. Would the 10w-40 be equivalent to a conventional 10w-30 as far as freeing up the motor? I know when we put fresh 20w-50 we lose about a tenth of a second, until we get about 5 or 6 runs on the motor. Would Royal Purple 10w-30 have enough ZDDP to be safe also if the store doesn't have the 10w-40? Thanks again, Steve

RP

I would not use the street SAE 10W-30. It carries an API rating that restricts the maximum amount of anti-wear additive. The street 10W-40 would be a better choice as it has more anti-wear (ZDDP) and is more robust overall. The SAE 10W-40 is available at Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and 4 Wheel Parts. You can also get it and all of the other Royal Purple automotive lubricants from http://www.summitracing.com, http://www.paceperformance.com, and http://www.jegs.com. If you want a 30 weight oil, you need to use the XPR 5W-30.

Regards,

Chris

I was impressed with the quick responses. A matter of minutes. After reading about the 10-40 having more anti wear, it kind of answers a question why the 20-50 has been good to us. It may carry more anti-wear additives. So maybe all the zink hype is on the lighter weight oils more recommended for the smaller motors in daily drivers. :-k

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:19 am 
Site Admin

The new API SM and CJ-4 standard was REQUIRED by the EPA to rid oils of ZDDP, which they say kills catalytic converters. The old API CI-4 rating, which was Rotilla and other diesel oil also had to get rid of ZDDP because of the converters that are on those new trucks. Diesels also now require the ULS fuel, which is like 50PPM.

It's also interesting to note that while the EPA has outlawed ZDDP some manufacturers still require it to maintain the warranty on their new vehicles. Porsche is one and Harley Davidson is another. I'm sure that there are a few others as well. Both Castroil and Mobile 1 make Harley compliant oils as does Amsoil. The Castroil is available from our local Advance Auto Parts store and it's about $3 cheaper per quart than Amsoil or Mobile1 however I don't think it is available in anything lighter than 10w40. I do think that Brad Penn is available in a 10w30 and a 5w3 as well though.

We've discussed oils here before and I've referenced this site before also. There's a good amount of info here and the guy that owns this site told me that he had spent over $5,000 in testing and such on the new and old oils.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:15 pm 

Lot's of good info there. Thanks Ken.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:21 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
API SM/CJ-4 motor oil and flat tappet cam is a recipe for disaster. Call a reputable engine builder and ask them what oil to run with a flat tappet cam. My bet is that you're going to get answers that say API CI-4 or SJ/CF. New oil, ie, stuff that's been out there for the last 2 or 3 years is junk for a flat tappet race motor. Brad Penn is good as are a couple of the Harley Davidson oils made by Mobile 1 and a couple of other refiners, which is what I've got in the Camaro engine right now. Roller tappet engines can get by with the new stuff but flat tappet cams in race engines require something different than what is available today.

Yep I guess its been at least 9 years or more since I ran a flat tapper(seems oils has changed abit)..Sat. night special 518 536 ran it for 3 years,pulled it out looked like new sold it to a friend for 50.00(with lifters in same locations they came out and he ran it fo ran another 2 years before deciding to go bigger...lol..Still looked great..he sold it a e20 swap meet..for 60.00 w/lifters....

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech