Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:03 pm 

Anyone out there have any experiance with Edelbrock RPM BBC Cylinder heads?
I have been running a set for the last two years, car was running great when I parked it.
I am currently doing a major upgrade to the car, and had just planned to freshen the engine. When I got the heads off, I found them to be cracked from the spark plug hole to the intake seat. Have 3 cylinders cracked on one head, and 1 cracked on the other.
The engine isn't exceptionaly rowdy, 10.2 compression, run 36 degree's ignition timing, 110 sunoco gasoline, and spinning it 7500 @ 1320'.
Is this common with this particular brand, have I unknowingly done this to them, are they worth fixing? Or save the $$$ and put a better breathing head on her?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Bob the fact that the cracks are all into the spark plug holes makes the repair even more of a problem since that hole would likely have to be welded completely up and redrilled and tapped. Most of the work I've done on welded aluminum sucks as the stuff is soft and doesn't machine worth a damn, which means that running a tap in it is a crap shoot.

I'd find a "reputable" repair shop that can give you an estimate and references for this type of work but in the end I'd venture to guess that the amount of work that you have to have done will probably make it cost prohibitive in the end. You may be better off just buying a new set of heads instead of spending what I think it will cost to fix those and you'll still have a repaired heads of dubious quality that may crack where they haven't yet.

I would also call Curtis Boggs at RaceFlow Development 703-339-1039 and tell him what you have and get a suggestion from him. He has done a bunch of development work for Edelbrock in the past and he may have some info for you as well.

As far as what caused it, the tuneup doesn't sound all that aggressive so I don't think that was it.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:08 pm 

ive had good luck with brodix on aluminum head repair. they also have the equipment to anheal and reheattreat after welding

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:13 pm 

I would call Edelbrock and see what they have to say. Most reputable company's will stand behind their work. It is worth the phone call reguardless of the outcome.

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:48 am 

gnicholson wrote:
ive had good luck with brodix on aluminum head repair. they also have the equipment to anheal and reheattreat after welding

Brodix told me that they will only weld/repair there heads anymore..

Indy Cyd heads will do the repair and do nice work also..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:28 pm 

us7race wrote:
I would call Edelbrock and see what they have to say. Most reputable company's will stand behind their work. It is worth the phone call reguardless of the outcome.

x2 on this, I would contact them and ask them if they have had any problems, or even check there website for some tech articles and info. Sounds odd that whey would crack in that area in more that one cyl. There may be a flaw in those heads. Check into it.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech