Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Roller Followers
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:29 pm 

How many runs should you expect from a set of roller followers before changing them ?

Post subject: Re: Roller Followers
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:54 pm 

That depends on how they are used. My old 383 in my Camaro had a new set when it went together (Howards I think) and they were never changed and still going strong after 7+ yrs of racing (Many hundreds of runs) . But that engine was shifted at 6600rpm and had 200/500# springs with a non-aggressive lobe and only .600" lift w/1.5 rockers.

Some probably get changed after 200 runs or less.

What are ...
Spring Pressure?
Lift?
Rocker Ratio?
Cam lobes?
RPM range?
1/8 mile or 1/4 mile?

Rick

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

I had a friend that ran a set of Comp rollers for EONS in a 406 SBC roller engine with a mild Comp .600 lift cam and Lunati springs. I know that thing was together for more than 10 years before the guy sold it and it was a Pro Street/Strip car that was driven on the street quite a bit.

Years ago when I was racing the Studebaker alot (probably 80/100 passes a season and some street driving) I ran Comp roller lifters and changed those and the Pacaloy valve springs out every 2 seasons. That was with a 268*/272* cam with .660 lift.

I'm on my 3rd season with those Crower HIPPO lifters in the 18* engine in the Camaro. With the new pressurized oiling that most lifers have now I do think they will last much longer than the old style that were lubed by windage from the crank only. Plan is to freshen up that engine this winter so I'll probably go with a new set then and they will probably have around 250 runs on them by then. That being said, I probably wouldn't have a problem running them much longer than that but since I'm going to have the lifter bores bushed it would probably be a good idea to replace then at the same time. Probably won't change valve springs though as they were checked not long ago and are still up to spec. Mind you this engine has 320+lbs seat pressure and 800lbs on the nose. That engine is shifted at 7600 and traps about the same.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:14 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
I'm on my 3rd season with those Crower HIPPO lifters in the 18* engine in the Camaro. With the new pressurized oiling that most lifers have now I do think they will last much longer than the old style that were lubed by windage from the crank only. Plan is to freshen up that engine this winter so I'll probably go with a new set then and they will probably have around 250 runs on them by then.

You can throw those away this direction. I'll pay shipping. ;-)

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:51 am 

Duration : 275/285 I/E at .050
Lobe Lift : .435/.425
110 Lobe separation.

1.7 Ratio Roller Rockers

RPM range, peak torque @ 5500rpm and peak power at 6800rpm

Shifted at 6200rpm, at the stripe about 6900 -7000rpm

approx 90-100 runs across 3 years and 4 oil changes.

Valve spring pressures, I would hazard a guess at around 550lbs open pressures (dual springs)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:18 am 

I wouldn't have a problem putting 500+ runs on a setup like that if the lifters are good quality.

Considering your engine setup and usage, I'd probably inspect them any time it is apart and replace only when worn. I never liked changing stuff that isn't broke or worn out.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:27 am 

my thoughts too, I'm selling my current engine set up and the guys buying the motor wanted to budget for a new set in the price. It wasn't soemthing I'd consider because in my mind I'd always looked after the motor and wouldn't have expected to open it up before turning 200 runs, at which point I'd be looking at followers and springs, ie more inspection rather than replacement. I can see the benefits of prevenative maintainence in replacing them but IMO the motor really doesn't have the mileage on it to warrant replacment. Thanks guys.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:41 am 
Site Admin

I'm sure you probably already know this but I'll jog your memory anyway. Weak or broken valve springs are roller lifter killers!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech