Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Oil filters
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:20 pm 

I run Wix racing filters on my BBC. Currently I have the short one that holds about 1/2 qt. I have used the longer one that holds 1 qt., but it's pretty close to the headers. The long filter doesn't touch the headers but only has about 1/2" of clearance. Is that close enough for concern? Should I give up filtering area for more clearance?

1.35 60'
6.30/107.5
9.98/132.5

Post subject: Re: Oil filters
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:54 pm 

I personally would run the long filter. It's probably just me but I always like the biggest filter I can use.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:47 pm 

I wouldnt bother about that clearance. I'd option for the longer filter. Cut some different brand filters up one day and compare the filtering medium. Very interesting who does better than others. Branding and what people use is not always what it seems. In racing you have to know, dont assume just because everyone else is running brand X that its the way to go. Test - Dont guess.
If a filter doesnt have enough medium to flow the oil volume it will build pressure resistance to the flow. When that exceeds the bypass valve at the top of the filter you then have basically no filtration.
One of the race teams over the years ran a bearing with a System one filter, the oil pump flowed more than the system one could pass so it bypassed and the rubbish was all over the top of the filter and through the bypass valve and went right through all the passages in the engine. Stuffed everything, lifters, the lot. I worked out the flow rate problem and modified their oil system to twin spin-on paper element cans arranged in parallel to halve the flow rate per filter. They ran a bearing again another time, but this time nothing went through the motor, so it was a cheap fix for them.I have always run 2 filters in parallel since that day, never used a system one since.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:54 am 
Site Admin

I found a filter that was designed for an Isuzu diesel that has NO bypass valve in the top and since I read oil pressure down stream of that filter, I know if it's restricted or not. The NAPA part number for that filter is 1647 and it costs like $14. From what I can gather it's produced by Wix for NAPA. OH, and this is an external filter mounted on the upper roll cage bar that comes through the firewall to the front end. Please note that if you are using the stock Chevy filter adapter in the block, it has a bypass valve built into it. I usually block those with a 1/4 NPT allen head pipe plug.

On the Studebaker I run a dual filter adapter like Shrinker talked about. Two filters in parallel can flow twice as much.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:59 pm 

I opted for the longer filter. It had more room than I thought.

1.35 60'
6.30/107.5
9.98/132.5

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 am 

A filter is cheap insurance for the life of your engine, and can be a Great tool to use. Personally I wouldn’t run dual filters on a drag engine, only endurance engines, but that said I would install a pre-filter like an O-berg that you can take apart and inspect on a regular basis. You’ll be shocked at what you find in there, and once you get into a routine on doing it you can save an engine very easily once you get used to what you’re looking at.

Braswell Carburetion

Check us out on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Braswell-Carburetion/320755068324

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Funny, I got an Oberg with a tattle tale sitting on the shelf now that was originally on my SBC in the Studebaker. I finally had to remove that thing as it was scaring me to death! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:10 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
Funny, I got an Oberg with a tattle tale sitting on the shelf now that was originally on my SBC in the Studebaker. I finally had to remove that thing as it was scaring me to death! ;-)

Don't be scared, as long as you're only seeing a little bit of bearing in there =;

Seriously though a good setup you can take apart (or even cut apart) is great, IF you use it with a normal maintanence program. This is where most racers have issues, they don't take the time to work on their stuff so it doesn't break.

Braswell Carburetion

Check us out on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Braswell-Carburetion/320755068324

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:03 pm 

A friend once borrowed a motor from another friend that had a system 1 on it. He said when they took it apart there was so much stuff in it that they decided to tear it down before he put it in. Didn't find anything wrong and said he wouldn't use that kind of filter because he "didn't want to know". I started using a system 1 several years ago and it has saved my engine at least 3 times. I check it after every race, or at least before I take the car back out. I will agree with carbguy, as long as you know what to expect on a normal inspection you can tell when something is going wrong. You will get used to how much and what kind of material is normal and can judge the amount by how many runs since it was last cleaned.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech