Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Timing question.
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:10 pm 

When we set timing it is in degrees of the round balancer correct? that being said, 40* advance would be approx 320* on the balancer. So now if I was to take a 360* protractor and lay it under the distrubiter once 0* is found. Then I should be able to set the dist on to 320* and get the same reading or is there a gear reduction between dist and cam?

Wait I remember there is a 2:1 crank to cam so I should set the dist to 340 or would it be 20*. Am I in the ball park or am I in lala land? :-k =;

More thought, :- I have a slip collar dist. I could line the gap on 0* and use it as a pointer and use the tick marks from the protractor to set my timing with out the light. :-s :-k =;

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post subject: Re: Timing question.
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:09 pm 

You could probably set timing by a marked distributor hold down, I always marked them so when ever the distributor was pulled, I could ball park it on the mark. I did say ballpark. The circle is so small a few degrees off one way or another always happened. Now in the olden days, As my grandson says, We had push start Diggers and we used a beeper to set timing with engine off. Ear phone with pick up on number one. Move the mag or distributor smoothly in the right direction and lock it when you hear the beep. this is pretty accurate. Basically a timing light you can hear.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:21 am 

It was just bouncing around in my head. Lot's of room in there #-o :- So there are many different ways to do this. No matter how crazy it seems now at the time it makes total sense. =;

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 am 

Back when we used distributors, we used to mark them on the base then started using one of these from Moroso:

Braswell Carburetion

Check us out on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Braswell-Carburetion/320755068324

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:38 am 

That's cool looking. When I dropped the dist in Jakes truck, I harked the intake at 0 and then turned the crank to 16* and remarked the intake where the rotor was pointing. Put it together and it fired right up.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech