Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: bbc comp belt drive
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:26 pm 

after repacing the timing chain with a comp belt drive the balancer is about .375 forward of the earlier installation. i know everything is seated because it pressed on nicely plus i measured the pulley and damper and crank snout and verified the right depth with a depth mike after installation.also the crank and cam pulleys line up.just wanted to know if this is typical. im also going to have to machine some thicker spacers for the moroso billet water pump. it needs about.040 to clear plus an additional.125 or so .forgot to mention the edge of the ati damper shell is about .300 in front of the nuts for the cam pulley so it cant go back much by machining some off the snout, however a 6 in balancer could go in the stock position without machining. its together right now but i assume the crank pulley is .375 thicker than the timing chain crank gear. its the way its suppose to be i assume but would like to know for sure. one more thing; it has a new callies crank

Last edited by gnicholson on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: bbc comp belt drive
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:58 am 
Site Admin

I ran into the same problems with a Pro Comp belt drive (Comp clone) setup that I tried to use on my SBC. I finally wound up just returning the damn thing because I didn't want to have to re-do the entire front of the engine just to be able to use it. It's my understanding that the Jesel units aren't like this, which I guess is the reason that they are so much more expensive. I run an alternator and a belt drive fuel pump and didn't want to have to re-make brackets and such to accommodate that belt drive. That and the water pump wouldn't clear also. On mine I set it up without a gasket against the front of the block and if memory serves, the balancer was still .270 further out than before.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 pm 

If the belt drive is a Comp Cams unit, call BLP, they can give you info on that one. The pulley would have to be .375 thicker, I doubt they would have a need to do that. The Comp cams drives were designed by BLP and although they don't advertise it I believe they still manufacture them for Comp. If it's Pro Comp, good luck.... ](*,) [-(

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:16 pm 

no,its a competition cam unit similar to a jesel. thanks for the info guys

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech