Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 38
I haven't been on much, wired 10 cars from January to mid May and then thrashed to get both my cars out of moth balls and to the Ultimate 64. During this time I had 13" added to my 232" Harry Clack digger (ex Comp car) and was able to have a new bullet built around a set of Curtis's 15* Monsters. A little history...the old motor was a 388" (4.125 x 3.625) using Eagle rotating assembly and GM 363 high port 18* heads, Bullet 277/284, .706/.706 on a 109, and a 1000HP Pro Systems carb on a GM spider...best was a 4.83 at 141 and 4.52 at 152 on a 175 shot.

New motor used same block (Dart Little M), same Milidon wet sump pan. We then went 4.185 x 3.625 (399") Callies Magnum XL, Oliver 6", and heavier JE pistons with .043/.043/3mm with good pins that can be sprayed!!! I also had the cam tunnel cut for big block bearings. Added a Comp belt drive, Morel lifters (standard sbc) Star vacuum pump (pulling 10") Bullet 278/284, .825/.825, on a 111, RFD Monster 15's with the 1.65 T&D's from old heads, Victor/Glidden 4500 manifold with a SV!.

The final two dyno pulls netted 843HP at 8100 and 591 at 6300!!!

First hit in the now 245" Clack car and a little heavier, netted a 1.057 60' and a 4.800 at 143 in 3800' air! That was .18 faster than the same air at the same track as last year. With a little timing adjustment and some 2500' air we went 1.041 and 4.692 at 146...on motor launching at 5500 and shifting at 8000. After viewing the data, an increase in launch and shift should put it on don there...man I can't wait for October Norwalk air....little motor should see some 50's! The goal is to throw some spray on it and see some high 4.20's!!!

I wanted to put out a special thanks to Curtis Boggs at RFD...we were able to work together to make this deal really come to light! I followed almost all his advise (budget limited the rest) and this deal did exactly what he said it would!!! Also to HorsePower Sales in Cincinnati for flawless machine work!!!

_________________
Jeff Brandenburg
Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:34 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Georgia
Good job! That's gettin' it done right there! I bet it sounds sweet singing at the upper end.Let's see, 600 past peak would be about 8700..... =;


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:57 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:38 am
Posts: 11804
Location: Coming At Ya!
Jeff, I'm curious as to why you added length to that car? 245" sounds long for SBC power? Last two diggers I had were 225" 482" BBC and 235" 540" BBC that were both multiple winners before I bought them?

But yeah!! Got some of that Boggs SBC head work under the hood of my Camaro! \:D/

_________________
Big Boyz Toyz!

Image

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 38
It was originally a V-6 car...the small block was on my back, literally!!! Water pump wouldn't fit..I had to come out of the intake with a -10 90* for water lines...the balancer was under my butt!!! You get the picture....so, all 13" was added in front of the motor...now I could put on a vac pump, etc! The length actually helped this car... With the spray last year it would pack the wheels chest high. I also had a 68" wheelie bar built...I think I'll pull the intake this week and start plumbing it \:D/

_________________
Jeff Brandenburg
Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 38
BarryW wrote:
Good job! That's gettin' it done right there! I bet it sounds sweet singing at the upper end.Let's see, 600 past peak would be about 8700..... =;


The only reason I shifted it at 8000....one small detail missed....I didn't have any chips above 8000. I race with all big block guys, so you know they didn't either! LOL I finished the car in time to make one time run and then straight to eleiminations of a $10 grander....LOL But yes, I here it sounds killer in the water box and even better at the shift!!!!!

_________________
Jeff Brandenburg
Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:27 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:38 am
Posts: 11804
Location: Coming At Ya!
OhioMafiaWireGuy wrote:
LOL But yes, I here it sounds killer in the water box and even better at the shift!!!!!


Yeah, I got an 8k high end chip in mine with MUFFERS that I bump on a regular basis and it ALWAYS draws a crowd with the hood off! Most gaullk and say? Thats a small bock!, and my reply is "anyone can make a BIG motor run!!!! =; Gotta love it!! \:D/

_________________
Big Boyz Toyz!

Image

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 38
Some more updates....finally got this little motor in some decent air, around 2400'DA...went 1.034 60' and 4.67 at 147 on motor. A couple weeks ago I turned on the bottle...125 tune up through a Zex perimeter plate...went 4.47 at 156 at 4100' DA!!!!! I love me some RFD!!!!

_________________
Jeff Brandenburg
Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:44 pm
Posts: 1423
Location: Clawson, Mi.
Hey Jeff,

Do you have any pics of your digger you can post? I want to come to Norwalk to visit some racer friends and watch the wheelie contest on Sat. night, and I want to keep an eye out for ya, let me know and what days will you be there? Thanks and good luck if I don't see you.

John

_________________
Image
Thanks To;
DART
Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family




R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 38
Elkyman wrote:
Hey Jeff,

Do you have any pics of your digger you can post? I want to come to Norwalk to visit some racer friends and watch the wheelie contest on Sat. night, and I want to keep an eye out for ya, let me know and what days will you be there? Thanks and good luck if I don't see you.

John



john, my apologies. I did not see your post until now. I would have been online at the track, but my new EVO didn't cooperate as a hot spot up there. I had the World War II themed digger...had a 40's pin-up on the side of it! We were there from the start to the finish...Sunday to Sunday. Saturday I was gone most of the day...almost missed first round...had to take the Mrs. to the ER.

On a side note...played with some timing and tune-up and got the ol 398" deal to go 4.65! Waiting for this weekend to swap the SV! for a standard dominator...my fuel curve looks like crap and I think this thing has some 50's in it!

_________________
Jeff Brandenburg
Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:07 pm
Posts: 1422
Location: Florida
Jeff, I think you are headed in the right direction going back to a Dominator. I don't believe you will ever get the fuel curve right on it running N/A, your logs showed you that with NOS and fuel being forced in it smoothed it quite a bit. I believe there is a design issue with it, and how the metering is set up makes it worse. I think it could be made to have a little better curve, I'm just not interested in passing my thoughts on the subject. I've been beat up just for saying "no comment" and watched Mark Sullens get abused on E85 without provocation, so I have no interest in saying anything that may help him. If you need any Dominator advice myself or any others here will be happy to help.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 38
jmarkaudio wrote:
Jeff, I think you are headed in the right direction going back to a Dominator. I don't believe you will ever get the fuel curve right on it running N/A, your logs showed you that with NOS and fuel being forced in it smoothed it quite a bit. I believe there is a design issue with it, and how the metering is set up makes it worse. I think it could be made to have a little better curve, I'm just not interested in passing my thoughts on the subject. I've been beat up just for saying "no comment" and watched Mark Sullens get abused on E85 without provocation, so I have no interest in saying anything that may help him. If you need any Dominator advice myself or any others here will be happy to help.


Mark...I appreciate the help. I wasn't able to get out this weekend...military duty. Hoping the weather cooperates as well as the tracks stay open this week. Man, all I need is two passes with the Domino and a third to bolt the SV! back on. Patrick want it back to make an emulsion change, so we know something is up...and I will give him the benefit of the doubt. It jus would be awesome to send it back with data from both. It would also be awesome to drop the hammer on this domino and see the 50's!!!! =D> \:D/

_________________
Jeff Brandenburg
Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:41 pm 
 
OhioMafiaWireGuy wrote:
Elkyman wrote:
Hey Jeff,

Do you have any pics of your digger you can post? I want to come to Norwalk to visit some racer friends and watch the wheelie contest on Sat. night, and I want to keep an eye out for ya, let me know and what days will you be there? Thanks and good luck if I don't see you.

John



john, my apologies. I did not see your post until now. I would have been online at the track, but my new EVO didn't cooperate as a hot spot up there. I had the World War II themed digger...had a 40's pin-up on the side of it! We were there from the start to the finish...Sunday to Sunday. Saturday I was gone most of the day...almost missed first round...had to take the Mrs. to the ER.

On a side note...played with some timing and tune-up and got the ol 398" deal to go 4.65! Waiting for this weekend to swap the SV! for a standard dominator...my fuel curve looks like crap and I think this thing has some 50's in it!

Is that the little green dragster that runs at edgewater in the Q16 race's that has the army theme on it?


Top 
  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:07 pm
Posts: 1422
Location: Florida
Found one of his pictures, too big to post.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj24 ... urnOut.jpg


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 am 
 
Yep that's it cool car and it run's real good.


Top 
  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 38
Thanks Mark....yep that's my whip! We are still, after 2 years, very proud of how that Wold War II Army Air Corp theme turned out...that pic was from last year with the 18* motor.

_________________
Jeff Brandenburg
Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: