Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Cold Lash
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:55 am 

Looking to come up with a figure for setting my lash cold.. Cam spec suggests .026 hot lash. Motor is iron block and aluminium heads, full roller. I'm not a fan of setting lash hot as the motor is normally cooling off whilst doing it from around 200 down to 170 or so, also I like to do it with the plugs out and am pissed off getting burnt ! What figure do you guys use to compensate for cold versus hot lash tolerances ?

Post subject: Re: Cold Lash
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:35 am 

subtract .004 - .005 for cold lash

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:07 am 

I always like running the engine up to operating temperature then shut it off. Whichever cylinder is easiest to get to, I quickly set the valves on that one. After engine totally cools off, I check & see how much lash has changed and use that as a guide for that paticular engine.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:36 am 
Site Admin

BarryW wrote:
I always like running the engine up to operating temperature then shut it off. Whichever cylinder is easiest to get to, I quickly set the valves on that one. After engine totally cools off, I check & see how much lash has changed and use that as a guide for that paticular engine.

I used this method and it was .004 across the board. Now I take the lash listed and subtract .004 and use that number with the engine cold.

I'll give you another one too. I use to set lash at TDC on each cylinder but that doesn't work out for me. Now I check the exhaust when the intake valve is near max lift. Then I check the intake valve when the exhaust is just starting to open. I found that lash varies a bunch from TDC to this method. What I believe I found is that the cam will move some simply because it has about .003 bearing clearance. When one valve gets opened I do believe that the cam gets pushed away some and that actually increases lash over what it was at TDC with both valves closed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 99% of the time a valve is going to get loose rather than tight so if you have been running this engine for some time and you find one you think is tight, then bump the engine around some to see if that changes. Certain spring harmonics can cause damage to valve seats and "might" result in lash tightening up but they will normally go to the loose side.

If you find a valve that is loose then it's a good idea to make a note of which one it is and then check it again after a few passes to see if it has loosened up again. That might indicate that a lifter or rocker arm has a bearing going bad.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:01 am 

thanks guys I'm gonna try .004 and check it after my first pass next week.

Interesting what you say Ken about the bearing tolerance affecting lash, I would have though the forces acting on the cam we're pretty much even as the the springs from every other cyclinder will be acting on it ?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Admin

PSweeney wrote:
thanks guys I'm gonna try .004 and check it after my first pass next week.

Interesting what you say Ken about the bearing tolerance affecting lash, I would have though the forces acting on the cam we're pretty much even as the the springs from every other cyclinder will be acting on it ?

In your case Phil it might not be that much of an issue but on my engine, cam bearing clearance along with the fact that I'm running a small base circle cam (.930 dia) I do think there is flex involved as well. I can assure you though that if I set lash at TDC, it changes (increases) when the valve opens.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech