Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: BBC Lifters
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:39 pm 

Hey guys, i was wondering what everyone is running these days for lifters. i have been using comps for years, but i have had 2 of them fail at different times. needless to say i'm not to impressed with them and the whole crap needle bearing design. was think bout some isky red zones, but i am thinking for some reason that the lifters are a different height so i am gonna have to change pushrods too?

anyways whats everyone using these days and what are your thoughts on the products that are out there?

Post subject: Re: BBC Lifters
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

I got a set of Crower HIPPOs in my 18* SBC that see 7600 on every pass and an occasional bump of the 8000 rev limiter in the water box. I've broken two of their rocker arms but so far the lifters have survived OK. Main thing is to keep ENOUGH spring pressure on'em cuz once they start bouncing and lofting off the cam lobe they are doomed.

My "junk" engine has a set of Comps in it and I've had relatively good luck with those over the years but that engine is a relatively mild one.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 am 

Man, I sure do like that Nova!!!

It turned out really nice! \:D/

You may have posted it, but I couldn't find anything doing a quick search, what's the engine specs?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:18 am 

I have two seasons on Red zones. One roller pealed after the first season. I replaced the bad lifter and now have about 200 passes on them plus about 80 dyno pulls. I'll replace them after this season or have them rebuilt.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:45 pm 

Slowpoke wrote:
Man, I sure do like that Nova!!!

It turned out really nice! \:D/

You may have posted it, but I couldn't find anything doing a quick search, what's the engine specs?

thanks, it was a lot of work, thats for sure! its a 505 bbc with dart 325 heads, je pistons, oliver rods, and tall deck block. the crank is a callies 4.25 stroke crank. its the motor out of my old car thats probably why i didn't put specs on it, nothing exciting to me lol.

so ken runs crower :-k they are about the same as a comp are they not? needle bearing design? maybe the diameter of the wheel is larger to spread the load out on a larger surface area?

on the isky's, what happened when it failed? no needle bearing to go everywhere so what was the damages? i like them b/c they are not needle bearings. anyone else have any thoughts on them?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:06 pm 

One roller was pitting and started to peel. Kinda like chrome peeling. I guess they have a hard coating on the roller and this one failed. All the others are good :-s .

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:17 am 

Morels only for me ... they make them for several different companies also. I get mine with PBM brand on them, 200-250 1/4 passes a year and look new when i take them out . The 300 tall lifters are tall above the actual lifter body in the lifter tie-bar area.

I keep up with lifters a lot through a few engine builders, issue 1 builder has been seeing is isky body diameters have a lot of difference frome 1 lifter to the next. Just talked to a guy today who broke his new set of comps had a wheel freeze up. I've also had horrible luck with them. Good luck with whatever you go with.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:45 pm 

I ran those junk comps for a bit. Broke one and that was it. Since i went to the .904 crower HIPPO and very pleased . even with 400 or so on the seat..

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech