Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:32 am 
Site Admin

This isn't something new as I've seen this for a long time. What I was wondering was if some of you that run methanol have found a fix for it.

The problem is that every time I've pulled the pan off my engine or drained the oil out and let it stand for a while I've noticed that there is a lot of black gook in the bottom of the pan or the milk jug I store oil in. Example, late last summer I had an oil pump pickup tube come loose and I put some bearings in the engine at that time. I drained the oil out of it last week getting ready to pull the pan for a bearing check again because of a lean run a few weeks back. That oil sat around in the pan for a couple of days before I transferred it to the milk jugs and again I found that there was a good bit of sludge that had settled in the drain pan. When I say there was a "good bit", I mean that it seems like it was about 1/4 inch deep in the bottom of the drain pan.

I know there's a few on here that run methanol and I was wondering if you had noticed the same problem and if you didn't have a problem with it, then what kind of oil do you run in your engine. Right now I'm using 20W50 Brad Penn Racing oil and before that I used 15W50 Mobile 1 and it did the same thing.

Anyone have any info on this?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:05 pm 

We use full synthetic Rotella 5W40 in our injected alky 420. I never see the separating you are talking about. When we tear down the engine at the end of the season for inspection there is a little sludge in the bottom of the pan but it is not more than I would expect from a gas engine.

2007 & 2009 Gateway S/Pro Champion
420 SBC 1.085, 4.85@140.5, 7.67@172.7

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm 

Ken i run valvoline 20-50 and have never seen nothing like that i my pan.

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:13 pm 

Ken, was the oil you were using synthetic?

I know Mobil 1 is, but I didn't know if the Brad Penn was.

Randy

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

randy355 wrote:
Ken, was the oil you were using synthetic?

I know Mobil 1 is, but I didn't know if the Brad Penn was.

Randy the Penn oil is "semi" synthetic and it is an SJ spec oil. Lots of ZDDP.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:18 am 

I am in the process of getting some oil checked at a lab..I don't know how long it will take but we will see........

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:33 pm 

Hey barry, they are probably going to tell you to stop eating Mexican food.. =;

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:26 am 

When I used to run Methanol, there was 3 things that kept oil longevity. Kendal oil, Getting oil temps up to 212 degrees at least and good evacuation. Methanol attracts water and mixes with it very well, if it doesn't get warm and evaporate and the evaporated water and methanol isn't evacuated, you need to change out the oil. Of course a proper air/ fuel mixture is important. That goes with out saying. I got the picture when I took one of the boys Go Kart racing. They check fuel for methanol by putting water in a class container and marking level. They let it sit for a while and the water separates from the fuel, but takes the methanol with it. If you end up with more water than you started with, your illegal. If you was to warm this container up above 212 degrees the water and methanol evaporates. It then mixes well with air and can be sucked off. If left behind it combines with any carbon debris in the oil that is heavier than oil. This makes sludge. This is simple science of it. Oil and water don't mix.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:15 am 

I'm on pump gas but have seen similar deposits in the valve covers when the motor has sat for a while. It was kind of like an ash deposit sat at the bottom of the little puddles of oil in the heads. I now drain and strain my oil whenever I can, doesn't do the mileage to warrant changing it.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

This is what I'm dealing with here.

This oil was drained out of the engine when this original post was made back in May. It's been sitting in two one gallon milk jugs here in the shop since. This afternoon I cut the bottom out of these two jugs up about an inch from the bottom and let the oil run out in a clean catch pan. Then I cut the bottom completely out of one of the jug to show the sediment left in the bottom?? This is what I see in the pan, only deeper!

Believe it or not, that Bran Penn oil (green out of the bottle) that ran out of that cut milk jug was GREEN, as you can see in the pic! Just like it looks out of the original bottle!!!??? Mind you this is after 2 (two) years of use in that 434" alky SBC methanol engine in the Camaro! O:) Wanna guess where that oil is going now?? O:) I only put 53 passes on this engine all last season! =; And the Studebaker needs oil now! \:D/

Yup, I'm "cheap"!

But seriously, in Europe they run oil about three time the distance we run it here in the good ole USA and that's not including synthetic? And while I'm not all that keen on what is done in "Europe", at this point I can agree on this philosophy, ie, we change oil here in the USA TOO OFTEN!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:43 am 

there is no way to tell how good that oil is unless you have it tested when new and then again after it's been used.........IMO

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
there is no way to tell how good that oil is unless you have it tested when new and then again after it's been used.........IMO

Yes, you are correct Barry but I'm gonna run it anyway. =;

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:27 pm 

I just changed oil in my alky motor and should have left it in. About 20 passes and it looks like new. I'm useing Brad Penn 20-50. I run a vac pump that helps i think. I drain a few ounces of water out of the resorvior after every pass. Next time i change it its going in my truck =;

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech