Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: bbc 632 crane rockers
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:43 am 

Hello Guys and Girls, Like to see if I can get some help with a problem that a friend and myself are having with crane roller rockers on bbc, the roller bearings are breaking out the side of the case that they ride in, the case breaks then all the needle bearings come out the side of the rockers, two times for me and 3 times for my friend, I called crane cams and they said we were running to much open spring press for the 13750-16 rockers( 760 lbs) and should use the 13763tr-16 ( wide body) ,that are rated for up to 900 lbs open press, I ran the 13750 rockers for 25 years and never had a problem now in the last 2 years it seems like every one I talk to about crane says they are now CHINA junk, are all roller rockers made in CHINA NOW? do any cam companys have there roller rockers made in the good old USA? any help would be great THANKS TO ALL

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:33 am 

598 nova wrote:
Hello Guys and Girls, Like to see if I can get some help with a problem that a friend and myself are having with crane roller rockers on bbc, the roller bearings are breaking out the side of the case that they ride in, the case breaks then all the needle bearings come out the side of the rockers, two times for me and 3 times for my friend, I called crane cams and they said we were running to much open spring press for the 13750-16 rockers( 760 lbs) and should use the 13763tr-16 ( wide body) ,that are rated for up to 900 lbs open press, I ran the 13750 rockers for 25 years and never had a problem now in the last 2 years it seems like every one I talk to about crane says they are now CHINA junk, are all roller rockers made in CHINA NOW? do any cam companys have there roller rockers made in the good old USA? any help would be great THANKS TO ALL

I don't know where Crane makes their rockers, but I would not run stud rockers (made anywhere) on anything with that much open pressure.

Has your cam lobe changed? Lift? Ramp rate? RPM? Spring? If something is borderline, it doesn't take much to push it over the edge. Is it always intake or always exhaust?

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:09 am 

Thanks Rick some times its the intake rocker and some times its the exhaust, my friend he has two 632 in a 40 foot speed boat and its all ways the exhaust rockers, he plays with cam profiles all the time, but its allways the exhaust, me I have a 632 pro street camaro that I put maybe 2500 to 3000 miles on it all summer, I pull the motor every 2 to 3 years to check every thing, the roller cam thats in it now has been in it for 5 years and 2 rebuild , the only thing I changed last rebuild was the crane rockers and the trouble strarted , I Think I will have to go to shaft rockers,

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure whether this applies here or not, but on my 18* SBC I bought a set of Crower SS shaft mounts and in the first season I broke one in the burnout box about half way through the season. Talked to Crower and they replaced it but they also told me that I wasn't running enough spring pressure? Now I'm up within about .080 of coil bind on the Manley Nextek springs on the engine and all has been well for the last two seasons.

My problem came from spring harmonics and also from some dumb ass not wanting to run high spring pressures because he is old school? Wanna take a guess who that dumb ass is? O:) =; I went back and set the spring height like Manley says to set them and that problem went away. ;-) FYI, we're up over 835 lbs on the nose now.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:54 pm 

i didn't think crane was in business anymore?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 am 

Buffjhsn crane cams is still in business,the company was bought by the people that make and build custom Harley Davidson motors (S&S) Crane Cams is selling there ignition stuff right now but are trying to get the company back up to full swing, I hear that Harland Sharp will be building there rockers

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech