Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:54 am 

I don't have any info on that piston number, but what I've done before to get dome volume of a piston is,

I take my ratcheting type ring compressor, and put the piston in the compressor an exact amount down in the compressor (with a little grease around the piston to seal it to the compressor), just enough to have the dome below the top. Make sure it's the same all the way around measured with calipers. Then cc the area above the piston to the top of the ring compressor, then calculate how many CCs that volume should hold, and subtract what it actualy CCed. The difference is true net dome volume. Valve reliefs are already included this way.

If you don't have that type of ring compressor, you can do the same thing in the engine bore, but you'll need to have rings on the piston, and a little grease on them to seal them. Bring the piston to tdc, measure deck highth, put a dial indicator on the piston, rotate the engine over to lower the piston a little more than is needed to get the dome below the deck, then put a dab of grease on the cylinder wall, at the top ring gap. Then rotate the engine to bring the piston up thru the grease, and to where the dome is just below the deck. CC the area to the top of the block, calculate the volume it should take to fill the area,(the amount you lower the piston in the bore + deck highth) then subtract the amount it did take to fill the area.

If you were needing other info on the pistons this won't help, but it will give you acurate CC info.

Randy

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:00 pm 

Sb piston ?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:50 pm 

Its probably ~14cc like most sbc dome pistons. Did you look for just 1312 cause that is probably the forging and the other letters/numbers after that are how its machined. I would guess that if you find another sbc piston made by Lunati/Wiseco with that same "1312" number at the beginning that the dome volume would be the same, but just a guess.

I'd measure it like Randy said, unless it is on ebay or something and you want to know before you buy it. If its in hand, its pretty quick to measure/calc.

Rick

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:00 pm 

1312 is the forging the D5 means it is .050 over L2 ?

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech