Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Rocker arms
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:08 am 

I'm just wondering what everybody is running for rocker arms and valve spring pressures/sizes. Problem I have is I can't afford shaft mount rockers for my motor, so I'm stuck with running stud mount. I'm looking at Comp Ultra Pro Magnums, Hi Tech's, and Ultra Golds, as well as Harland Sharps and Scorpions. Any input you guys have would be great! I'll be running a 1.640 double spring.

Thanks!

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post subject: Re: Rocker arms
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:49 am 

I would check out the Scorpion, made here in Florida and at a competitive price. Spring pressure depends on the cam and RPM planned. If you plan to keep the engine for a long enough time and don't already have studs and guide plates you might find the sportsman shaft rockers worth the difference. Not only from a HP standpoint, but for reliability and with the higher precision may also be easier on valves and guides in the long run.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 am 
Site Admin

I've got a set of Crower SS stud mounts with a girdle on the "junk" engine that have been on it since 1991 and they are still going strong! I liked them so much that when I bought the shaft rockers for my 18* engine I went to Crower for those as well.

Local guy leases Hooter's Pro Cup engines and he has run all the different brands and he told me that Crower SS is the only brand he had run that never broke. He claims that all the others (aluminum) appear have a "cycle life" and will break sooner or later.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:24 pm 

I had a set of the scorpions that I used to replace an old set of lunati's with . A few of them cracked after 1/2 season. I switched the the comp SS high tech rockers. Scorpion replaced the set at no charge but I didn't want to wait for the replacements. So maybe that is an issue they resolved.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:55 pm 

I used to use Harland Sharp rockers and a girdle and this holds up well above 7000 rpms, anything higher than 7600 rpm's and I would look at shaft rocker systems and never look back. There is some good used shaft rocker systems out there too, just take a good look at stuff before you buy. Too bad you can't get the Jesel or T&D stuff, much easier on valvetrain parts and higher rpm is available if needed in your engine program.

Crane Gold rockers would be my other choice if I had to go back and run this type of rocker system. If you total up all your cost's to run roller rockers it is almost the price to just save a few hundred bucks more and get some shaft rockers, but that all depends on budget and time. Longer rocker arm studs from ARP, taller valve covers, rockers, guide plates, stud girdles, and just a few hindred more and here comes the shaft rockers!!!!!! jmo, and best of luck on your choice and have fun.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:22 am 

I run the Comp Pro Magnum Roller Rockers. My springs are 1.625, 260 lb Closed 790 lb Open. I had a set of lunati's but one broke on me after just a few runs.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:45 am 

Thanks for the input guys. I already have girdles, taller valve covers. My machinist has the rocker studs and adjusting nuts I need for the girdles cheap (new, just hooking me up). I've been looking at the shaft setups, but haven't been able to find any that fit my heads used. I'd love to run them, but $1000+ for rockers just isn't in the budget right now. I did call several companies though, and Harland Sharp was the most helpful. Looks like I'll run their stuff until I can afford more.

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 am 

+1 on the comp pro magnums, excellent rocker.. harland sharps suprisingly hold up. used a set of scorpions and cracked two on 1st run, removed them and installed the comp's..

all on marine roundy rounds..

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech