Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

NOPE! Don't have either! Sheet of plywood will probably cost more than buying'em.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:46 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
NOPE! Don't have either! Sheet of plywood will probably cost more than buying'em.

http://stores.dragraceoutlet.com/-strse ... gories.bok

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:49 am 

Ken, Visit your local phord dealership and buy a tube of their 7.3 diesel silicone, that stuff is totally awesome. I know some 10.5 guy's who use this instead of gaskets on intakes, we've used it on the Moroso eliminator oil pans and a buddy used it on a mopaer oil pan that was for a different engine seems that some mopars use a different rear radius but the front and sides are the same, he used this stuff to make the pan work with a 3/4" thick bead on the radius around the rear main. Both engines are as dry as a bone. \:D/
It comes in a caulk tube about 1/2 the length of regular silicone and cost $14.00 here.
I think it's the best thing phord has ever made, nah someone else made it and put Motorcraft on the tube.
You will thank me for this tip. =;

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 am 

Make sure it's 02 safe........ ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 pm 

Ken, I have a NIB Accel cap part # 120214 if that will work you can get a deal, measures 3.75 inside and clips on

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

oobob wrote:
Ken, I have a NIB Accel cap part # 120214 if that will work you can get a deal, measures 3.75 inside and clips on

Mark not sure the Accel stuff will work with this old style model 37 Mallory Unilite housing. TMC has a later model (38 series) Mallory that has a cap and rotor that will fit but the old style stuff, ie, YL etc won't fit it. I'm just going to go ahead and bite the bullet and order a new set from Summit or Jegs and be done with that part.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Ron's still under the weather so I went ahead and ordered the cap and rotor from Summit. That stuff will be delivered tomorrow. I've got the top plate made but the angle on the carbs is a little off because I couldn't see exactly where they would be once the holes were cut. Sooooo, I'm going to run it like it is and look for another piece of material to make a new one out of with the "correct" angle to put a venturi closer to the manifold inlets. This will let me to find out just how critical this "alignment" really is. It's not off much, maybe 10* or so but it is off. This will be pretty easy to fix even with the intake mounted on the engine.

With the weather warming up some (global warming does this) :- maybe we'll be able to get down south to a weekend test some time within the next few weeks. I'm getting kinda edgie and need to smell some smoke! \:D/ After all, it's only 61 days to spring! =;

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:50 am 

I think you should have held out for a while, got some extra coin built up and just bit the bullet and got the front drive Dizzy! Just think of some of the good things about it, no more reaching back into the engine & trans area to work on it, no more having to line up the dizzy with the oil pump(if you have a wet sump that is) ease of plug wire routing, ease of timing adjustments if preferenced, and well, it looks cool as hell to \:D/ \:D/ Yeah, it will hurt the pocket for awhile, but you will say, man, I should have done this from the getgo :-k

Ken, do you have a belt drive on this? or do you still run a timing cover setup? I have to say also, that is one nice intake you scored on there, good job =D> Check over on rj for some carb spacers, and I can ask my buddy if he has any in Minneeesota if you want me to check it out??? let me know on them.

You know, you could always just do the o-ring thing around the water ports only!!!! :-k and you could do that yourself like these guys said, make a nice pattern around the port, grind some material out with a dremmel, and add silicone that is loveable to alky, done deal I would think, and cheap too? isn't that your middle name???? =; Aaaahhh the joy's of racing...

I wish you the best with this setup Ken, and it looks like it just might come together fairly well and I hope you pick up in et and mph, my cyl. head guy wants me to run a tunnel ram, but I just can't afford the intake to get made, and then buy the linkage, and then two more carbs, not to mentin a new top if needed to mount two domino's :-({|= but boy would I pickup in some power he said!!! I can't wait to hear how it works out for ya, give em hell Ken \:D/

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Admin

John I'm not running a belt drive on the cam so I'd have to buy the whole shebang to do the front mount. Nearest I can tell all that would cost me right around $1400! O:)

On the spacers, I've seen them fairly cheap on a couple of sites but haven't bought them yet because I really don't need them unless I run the two GAS 4150 HPs that I have. I've got 1/2" spacers that will work with the two alky carbs.

And about the top on a dual carb sheet metal intake, you can make that yourself as it's just a flat piece of aluminum.

I probably would have had mine running already but my back went out last week and I've been somewhat cripple now since about Tuesdayl It's starting to get a little better today so maybe I'll have'r running by the middle of next week.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:22 am 
Site Admin

Finally bolted that intake on the engine today. Also got the distributor that Barry sent me in and got it indexed and ready to go. Got the top plate sitting on with the two alky carbs on it so I can modify the linkage to work with my pro start air cylinder. It's looking good and weather this weekend is suppose to be in the mid forties so that means it won't be that much longer before it will be warm enough to smell some smoke. Both Piedmont and Roxboro are open weekends as long as nothing is falling and it's above 40* but I'm going to need some mid 50s before I make that trip.

Just think, there is only 33 more days to spring. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a couple of updated pics on the intake thingie. The second one shows the plate I had to make to move that bell crank up enough to clear the plenum on the intake. I got 1/8 inch clearance between the throttle coupler and the plenum. Everything clears OK and there is no binding. The throttle will actually close even though there's no return spring on it yet so that's good.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Well, I'm about ready to light a fire in this thing! I sprayed some gas down the carbs this afternoon then hit the starter and it burped so I think it might run. =; Right now I've got those 4150 HP gas carbs on it that are OOTB so we're going to see how they do before I go changing anything on'em.

We won't make it out this weekend cuz I've still got to rework that cowl hood for more clearance on that front carb. I've got an old scoop that I'm going to graft into the cowl scoop along with a tray that I'll try to make work also. Yup, more work.

Oh, and the new windshield goes in tomorrow after I set the car back on the floor. \:D/

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:19 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Well, I'm about ready to light a fire in this thing! I sprayed some gas down the carbs this afternoon then hit the starter and it burped so I think it might run. =; Right now I've got those 4150 HP gas carbs on it that are OOTB so we're going to see how they do before I go changing anything on'em.

We won't make it out this weekend cuz I've still got to rework that cowl hood for more clearance on that front carb. I've got an old scoop that I'm going to graft into the cowl scoop along with a tray that I'll try to make work also. Yup, more work.

Oh, and the new windshield goes in tomorrow after I set the car back on the floor. \:D/

Looking good Ken.looks like you'll be out and ready to race way before me \:D/ ....sure is pruudey.

THE ATOMIC BANEGA(BANANA/VEGA)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BagEEa8JDo

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Tray. Have some pics to post but my new hosting service has horked that up as I can't link to those photos over on Godaddy?? If it ain't one thing it's another!!!! DAMNIT!

Maybe tomorrow.

Oh, and it will run tomorrow too. \:D/

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

OK so I transferred this photo over to Faye's server. Here is a shot of the engine finished and ready to run. Haven't connected the throttle linkage to the carbs yet cus I still got to adjust the idle and mix. Once that is done then I'll connect'em up. \:D/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech