Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
Hammertime wrote:
we've done this in a pinch & never had luck

And just what was "unlucky" about it? How close was the intake match to the heads? If you had a gasket in it, then tried without one I can see why there was a problem as the intake would be a gasket thickness (usually .060+) too low.

At this point mine is a perfect match.

Be more specific about why it did not work!

It had a vacuum leak like a son of a gun, maybe because we were very careful on not putting to much around the ports (didnt want it in the port when intaked started pressing down on it) .. mine @ that point was great fit without gaskets also, it kept blowing the mr.gasket everyone suggested. I've sense had the intake surfaced and all is good with good gaskets :)

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Rick360 wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "WON'T FIT"?

Starting 3.5 inches up from where the distributor seats on the intake it is only 2 inches from the centerline of the distributor shaft to the manifold plenum, which means the cap and distributor main body can't be over 4 inches in diameter and even then, that dimension might be off by as much as an eight of an inch.

jmarkaudio wrote:

Mark I've already looked at that one but they don't give any dimensions and from what the picture looks like, the main body looks to be just as tall as the one I have now that won't work. This one in the picture just has a shorter cap.

I'm going to measure the diameter of the distributor cap and there's always the possibility that I can grind some of the plastic off the front of the distributor housing where the cap mounts. Might be able to grind the cap also. From what I remember about those old Mallory distributors though, they were pretty small compared to this MSD GM clone. TMC couldn't find the ones he thought he had. He's got one in his boat engine and the other is in the Olds engine in his race car so I might have to take Barry up on his offer.

To Be Continued!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:02 am 

Modify the back of the intake, cut out a section, weld in a curved section. It shouldn't take much to make it clear. And if it's a problem on the install of the distributor, make a removable bolt in section. If you don't have aluminum welding capabilities, get it all fit up and send it to me, I'll be glad to weld it for you. Or you could drive it to me and wait while I weld it up, we'll visit. =;

On the O-rings instead of gaskets, you have a mill, just mill them in manually. It's not critical on the shape around the ports, just the depth and width. Practice on some scrap. You can do this! That's why you have a shop. =;

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

TMC says that a Mallory distributor cap measures 3 5/8 in diameter so if the distributor main body is that size or a little smaller, we might have a fix. I've sent Barry a PM for more measurements on the one he has.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Barry called this afternoon and the main body on that Mallory is actually smaller than the cap so I think we might have a winner. He's sending it to me next week so I should know something by the end of the week.

Let's hope this works as it will be a real heart breaker if I can't make it work without spending all my racing funds. But then again, the new WalMart is suppose to open up here this spring? O:)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Well, looks like this Mallory distributor Barry gave me will work! It's still close and I sure hope it will handle the output of this MSD Digital 7 ignition. I guess we'll find that out after I get it all together. I guess now I can go ahead and make that 4150 top plate. \:D/

And thanks again Barry!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:43 pm 

;-) .......You don't know how many times I almost threw that away :- ...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone know of any other type of cap and rotor that will fit this #37 series Mallory Distributor? MSD spoiled me making theirs interchangeable with GM stuff?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 pm 

I think the new mallory cap screws on. It come with the harware in the box. No more straps.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Greg, TMC has a Mallory Unilite in his Olds engine that is a newer model than the one Barry sent me and the cap on his does fit this one and it's also a clip on. Summit has'em (mallory 571) but the cap and rotor are $35 shipped? I've been use to buying truck caps for my MSD at Autozone for $10 and this Mallory stuff is killing me! Yeah, I'm CHEAP! It's a bitch ain't it, Barry gives me a distributor and I'm bitching about $35 for a cap and rotor? =; Yeah, I'd bitch if my nuts were in a gold vise too! \:D/

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:03 pm 

=; =; .......Yea and when you get the rotor you will have to cut the notched wheel off of it too........But it's still cheaper than the other way you though about :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 pm 

Ken i think i still have my old mallory dual pionts dist. that had a new cap and rotor on it a few years ago ill half to see if i can find it, If so ill send it to you... krazyken

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

krazy55ken wrote:
Ken i think i still have my old mallory dual pionts dist. that had a new cap and rotor on it a few years ago ill half to see if i can find it, If so ill send it to you... krazyken

Ken, if it's the old Yl series distributor it won't work! Already check out one of those that TMC had and they don't even come close to fitting. It's has to be the later model Unilite distributor.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Admin

OK, anyone have a cheap source for 1 inch 4150 carb spacers? I got to get the carbs up to clear the linkage.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:36 pm 

You have any Delron or marine plywood??? Make them... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech