Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Out of the box on two box stock 750s on gas and went 5.51 @ 129.2 with a 1.17 short time. Did a jet change and it went down hill from there as EGTs and AFRs where all over the place! FYI, we went 5.57 @ 128.5 last fall at this track, same lane with my gas Dominator after tweaking the crap out of that carb and timing. BTW, I've got 2 degrees less timing in the engine now than I had last fall with the Dominator so there's likely more in it yet.

Piss poor air management around those carbs down track was verified when I turned the scoop around backwards and got different numbers so we gotta do something to cure the turbulent air problems.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:47 pm 

How did you turn your scoop around backwards? Send me some logs when you get a chance.

Congratulations!!! =D>

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Slowpoke wrote:
How did you turn your scoop around backwards? Send me some logs when you get a chance.

Congratulations!!! =D>

Donee the scoop we ran today was originally on the Studebaker. Since I hadn't modified the Camaro hood I just left it at home and just ran with the scoop in place instead.

I'll try to send the logs tomorrow. Right now my old arse is dragging, it's Miller time and I haven't even unloaded the car. Going fast wears me out!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:38 pm 

I know what you mean. Can you post pics of the scoop set up?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: If you read through this thread you noticed that I machined this sheetmetal intake to fit my heads without using a gasket. Reason for this is that intake gaskets seem to fail on a pretty regular basis when you run methanol. I used a STRONG grade (grey stuff) RTV around the ports and regular RTV around the ends and water ports.

So ask me how this works? O:)

I had the carbs off the other day changing some pump cams and jets and noticed that the inside of this intake was covered with oil. Only way for that to happen is for that oil to come in around the intake flange. So today I pulled it off to reseal it to try to make it thru the season with this setup. I'll finish putting it back together tonight after dinner and hopefully run it the rest of the season. I never noticed anything out of the ordinary with the engine except #6 running hot. Not sure that was an issue because at WFO there is little vacuum in the intake to suck that oil in as the Evac system is running at full tilt then also. So whether the leak caused the #6 problem or not will be decided when I go back to the track next weekend.

FYI, the RTV was working up until recently because I've had those carbs off several times and hadn't seen any oil until this time. So the RTV didn't go but about 2/3 of a season whereas the regular gaskets did make it to the end on several occasions.

As mentioned up the page, I got a pair of gaskets from Superformance Gaskets that are suppose to be impervious to methanol but chose not to use them on this setup because of the additional material that would have to be machined off the intake. When I get the new Edelbrock intake setup for next season I'll probably go ahead and set that up to use those gaskets to see how they hold up.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:18 pm 

How about putting it on the mill and cutting it for o-rings?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
How about putting it on the mill and cutting it for o-rings?

My machine won't do that as it probably needs to be done with a CNC deal, which I don't have. I won't be running this intake next year anyway so there's no use in me spending time and or money to do the O ring deal. If this intake had of done what I had hoped, then that might have been an option, but it didn't.

Main thing on this was a test of whether RTV would hold up under methanol. It won't! ;-) So now we all know what WON'T work. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:37 pm 

I was just thinking about machining my front motor plates for O-rings for the water pump and block. Anyone have any experience with this?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:55 pm 

A rotary table for a mill would work on the motor plate, intake would be a bit more tricky.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 pm 

I have a CNC mill =;

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:05 am 

Slowpoke wrote:
I was just thinking about machining my front motor plates for O-rings for the water pump and block. Anyone have any experience with this?

Why??? I never had a leak there...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:54 am 

I have, once, it's a pain.

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech