Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Re: Vacuum pump
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:12 pm 

gearhead1011 wrote:
want-a-be wrote:
gearhead1011 wrote:
I had a little trouble with my motor smoking last year and while discussing the problem here it was mentioned that I need to have a vacuum pump on it. My motor is a 370" SBF 14 to1 NA with a single .043 compression ring, & a 3/16" low tension oil ring. I shift it at 8,200.

I'm sure there's stuff I missing so I will appreciate any advice.

Are your pistons gas ported? I would think that running just 1 compression ring you would see some gains. Especially if it's a light tension ring. Running light tension rings, with only 1 compression ring along with vacuum pump is a very good set up.

Just a suggestion.

Goodson tools sells a tool you can do this yourself. It's very easy.

Have you ran this since adding the the vac. pump? Did it do what you wanted? Did you see any gains in ET? Lowering crank pressure may help out with your valve cover gasket issues also.

Don

I hadn't thought about gas porting the pistons. Maybe next time it's apart. I have not had the car out yet. I had truck transmission problems on my way to the 1st test-n-tune last week and our 1st UMTR race got rained out yesterday. If the weather is decent next Friday I will probably take it to US60. Hopefully I will know something next week :-$

Most of the single ring pistons I've seen in the past always ran the gas porting. That's why I was asking. Good chance you could net some pretty good gains with the right ring pack,vac pump and the gas porting combination.

Don

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech