Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Vacuum pump
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:26 pm 

I had a little trouble with my motor smoking last year and while discussing the problem here it was mentioned that I need to have a vacuum pump on it. I have been (as always) just running a header evac system. My motor is a 370" SBF 14 to1 NA with a single .043 compression ring, & a 3/16" low tension oil ring. I shift it at 8,200. A vacuum pump makes sense and I understand there should be a performance gain not to mention it should help with a rear main leak I can never seem to stop. Here's my questions.
1. I can get a decent deal on both aeromotive & moroso pumps, slightly better price on the moroso pump and much better price on the areomotive regulator, so is one any better than the other?
2. Is a 3 vane enough or should I go with the 4 vane?
3. What ratio (pulleys) should I spin it at?
4. How do you normally plumb one, vacuum line to one valve cover & regulator in the other?
5. Is there anything special I should do with valve cover and and oil pan gaskets to keep them in place?
6. How much vacuum should I set it for?
7. What do I need for a catch tank?
I'm sure there's stuff I missing so I will appreciate any advice.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: Vacuum pump
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:31 pm 

gearhead1011 wrote:
I had a little trouble with my motor smoking last year and while discussing the problem here it was mentioned that I need to have a vacuum pump on it. I have been (as always) just running a header evac system. My motor is a 370" SBF 14 to1 NA with a single .043 compression ring, & a 3/16" low tension oil ring. I shift it at 8,200. A vacuum pump makes sense and I understand there should be a performance gain not to mention it should help with a rear main leak I can never seem to stop. Here's my questions.
1. I can get a decent deal on both aeromotive & moroso pumps, slightly better price on the moroso pump and much better price on the areomotive regulator, so is one any better than the other?
2. Is a 3 vane enough or should I go with the 4 vane?
3. What ratio (pulleys) should I spin it at?
4. How do you normally plumb one, vacuum line to one valve cover & regulator in the other?
5. Is there anything special I should do with valve cover and and oil pan gaskets to keep them in place?
6. How much vacuum should I set it for?
7. What do I need for a catch tank?
I'm sure there's stuff I missing so I will appreciate any advice.

I've had great luck with the Moroso pumps, I've ran the 4 vane with a regulator and currently run the 3 vane without a regulator. I would just get a normal moroso catch can they work well. My vacuum is set @8in at idle, you should invest in a vacuum gauge for in the car so you can watch it. You can normally catch a blown intake gasket on them fast. I do nothing special with the valve cover just run it into a moroso vacuum pump fitting that is in the end of the valce cover. Pulley setup varies so you'll need to check with Moroso on this. I run a gilmer belt its nice but is a pain if it breaks and you cant get a spare, everyone has the v-belts, hope this helps.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:14 pm 

Chuck I just got a vacuum pump from GZ. They have the all new one that only Star will out do it. Greg (owner) is a racer and a real good guy to deal with and he won't sell you what you don't need...Check him out...Oh and Aerospace pump are junk.......
http://www.gzmotorsports.com/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:25 pm 

Beretta wrote:
Chuck I just got a vacuum pump from GZ. They have the all new one that only Star will out do it. Greg (owner) is a racer and a real good guy to deal with and he won't sell you what you don't need...Check him out...Oh and Aerospace pump are junk.......

Thanks Barry. I'll have to check them out. Which one did you get?

I meant to check with you about the weather station. Did you get my PMs? Seems like at least one didn't go through and that might have been about the time the board was changing servers.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:12 pm 

Yes I got them thanks and we will talk later.....I got the new 104 pump..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:27 pm 

Beretta wrote:

My star was a leaking POS ... and I got no help fixing it...

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:37 pm 

I have a 3-vane Moroso that has worked well for me. It pulled 15"+Hg on both engines of mine it was on and I loaned it to a friend for a while with good service too. Always v-belt driven and I don't know the pulley ratio right off. Didn't use a regulator, but I plan to on the 414 going in the dragster. Probably set at 10"Hg. My seals must have been the regulator. No special seals or gaskets and both engines pulled 15"Hg.

I have tried pulling from the lifter valley in the manifold as well as the valve cover. The valve cover location seemed to pull less oil into the pump.

I built a canister to separate the oil from the air/blowby.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:24 am 

A guy I work with ran a nascar type smallblock on the dyno for quite a while, they tested various settings and came to the conclusion that much more than 14"Hg depression was a waste as it didn't make any difference.

Your results may vary

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:26 pm 

Hey Sam,, I have the Mororso 3vane on mine. I have a 10an line to the valve cover and to the catch can. Runs at 15" all the time. And this is with a dry sump also. Before the dry sump it still pulled 15". The pully set-up is the standard 4" that comes with the pump and a 2" on the crank. V-belt style. Keeps the oil alot cleaner also.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:31 am 

I bought a pump kit from GZ and got everything I needed in a package. I have an oddball setup on my crank pulley and he was very helpful and patient in helping me put together a package that would work and even made a special alignment bushing. I would recommend this guy to anyone.

I have everything mounted up and just need to plumb it and ran into a little snag. It seems that the adapter caps that mount in the valve covers are too tall to clear the hood if I put them in the front. I have room if I swap the valve covers around to put the caps at the rear. Will this cause a problem? I have cast aluminum valve covers and the breather cap adapter has a baffle in it plus I have baffles for the valve covers that I can use. The instructions for the pump states that there needs to be some oil in the hoses to the pump to lube the pump. I have a vacuum regulator valve in the other valve cover so I'm sure it doesn't matter where it goes. I'm using cast aluminum valve covers and putting a fitting in the end of one will be difficult if even possible. There aren't a lot of options for valve covers on my motor as it uses a Ford Cleveland style valve cover.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Chuck I'm not exactly sure what you're needing info on. If my understanding is correct, on these systems you have a vacuum valve/regulator on one valve cover and on the other you need a way to plumb it to your vacuum pump? If you look at the pic of my engine with the sheet metal intake and carbs mounted, you'll see where I have put bulkhead fittings in BOTH valve covers that are connected to my evac system. So if you need to put a fitting in a valve cover, then the front is where I'd put it. There has to be some oil present in that area to lube that pump and it's relatively easy to mount it there with a simple bulkhead fuel fitting.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:21 pm 

I agree with Ken and not sure what your asking, but the vacuum fitting needs to be in the front of the valve cover.....................

Greg is a cool guy and like Chuck said he will work with you to get you what you need!!!
Started to get mine worked out also...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:53 pm 

Chuck,
I just bought a Star pump and it's set up with the regulator at the pump. It's my understanding the reason to run it there is so you won't be drawing a lot of air through the engine. By drawing ambient air through the regulator it helps cool the pump, also it keeps it from scavenging oil from the engine once it reaches the set point of the regulator. Makes sense to me, but this is my first time to run a vacuum pump, I did lots of research, but time will tell. I think it will definitely be an improvement over the header evac system that I had.
Let us know how it goes, mine new engine is still in the machine shop, it'll be a while before I get it to the track.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

Slowpoke wrote:
my new engine is still in the machine shop, it'll be a while before I get it to the track.

Hey, would you like to transfer that free beer sponsor you have to my car for a while till you get your engine going? =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:28 am 

Let me think about that for a while....I guess I better pass, I try to use the "free beer" part of the sponsorship every day or so and I do have my trailer parked where it's visible from an intersection as a billboard.

You're welcome to drop by, I have a keg in the kegerator on the back deck and I'm usually ready to take a break and visit!

Thanks for the offer!

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech