Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:42 pm 

for 35 plus years I have installed "breathers" in each valve cover and of course, some valve covers accommodate and seal better than others but overall, that set up is mostly what you see on sportsmen drag race builds.

So in a quest for options, I have the idea of putting two AN fittings in the "valley area" of the intake then using hoses to a remote breather tank. In doing so, there would be no openings in the valve cover. Oil fill would be some kind of threaded bung somewhere on the intake.

Of course we are talking about a trailered drag race car with an intake that allows access to the valley area. [example, a Super Victor style intake]

Let me have your thoughts about this idea.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:58 pm 

Larry

Its only a breather so in reality you could put it anywhere you want, only important thing is to keep it away from oil.
But on that note, whats the problem with them in the rocker cover or are you just into doing something different.

Trev

Everthing on this car is all done by myself
650 HP Plus 300 Nos
Best so far
1.38 60 ft, 6.3 1/8 at 110 mph and 10.2 at 135 mph, long way to go before i reach my low nine hey

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:03 pm 

it is an idea to consider for appearance reasons.

Simply looking for another, cleaner way to vent the engine. Even a more modern, high tech look but accomplishing the same thing, venting the crankcase.

I have in mind an aluminum vent can by Peterson or Steff's with a K & N breather and AN fittings. Maybe mounted on the front engine plate.

On my web site, click on the Ironsides Story to see the car for this engine.
www.woodfinautomotive.com

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:10 pm 

What about taking it of the manifold under the carb, run some hard stainless tubes from there to around the back of the head. You could even weld some blocks onto the rear of the manifold near the chev dissy, then drill from under the manifold and then drill from the rear too meet that hole. You could do it heaps of ways, The NOS guys have some excellent hidden systems that could could look at and get ideas from.

Everthing on this car is all done by myself
650 HP Plus 300 Nos
Best so far
1.38 60 ft, 6.3 1/8 at 110 mph and 10.2 at 135 mph, long way to go before i reach my low nine hey

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:38 am 
Site Admin

No EVAC system or vacuum pump??? O:) FYI, there is horsepower there! ;-)

FYI, I tapped a 3/4" NPT hole in the valley of my Dart intake about 4 or 5 inches ahead of the distributor hole and that is where I put oil in. That hole is under the rear bowl of the carb and a long funnel reaches it OK.

I put a -10 or -12 bulkhead fitting in the FRONT of each fabricated aluminum valve cover (did I mention that they were cheap) and then piped it back to the EVAC system on each header. Being in the front like that keeps oil out of of that line. That and I also made a 3/8" thick aluminum fuel pump block off plate that is tapped for 3/8" NPT with a breather line connected to that also. You do have to be careful using that one though as you may get oil up in that area with no fuel pump push rod in that hole.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:59 am 

Larry,
Remember the old 283's had a canister (oil separator) in the lifter valley that was vented down beside the bell housing, with an angle on the end of the metal tube to help pull (a little) vacuum at highway speeds. The point being, it's a valid location to put a breather, but I would want some type of oil separator in the system. Let us know what you end up doing, I'm putting a vacuum pump on my new 555 and I'm considering the same area.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:37 pm 

Slowpoke wrote:
Larry,
Remember the old 283's had a canister (oil separator) in the lifter valley that was vented down beside the bell housing, with an angle on the end of the metal tube to help pull (a little) vacuum at highway speeds. The point being, it's a valid location to put a breather, but I would want some type of oil separator in the system. Let us know what you end up doing, I'm putting a vacuum pump on my new 555 and I'm considering the same area.

I was thinking the same thing. Kind of reinventing the wheel. It was a good idea but the EPA changed it. I would go with the oil separator also.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech