Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:55 am 

Having recently destroyed my 532 BBC bottom end (including the block), I'm considering purchasing one of the "assembled short blocks" from one of the vendors listed below (as the block, rotating assembly, and machine work combined pretty much makes it a wash, particularly if I put a dollar value on assembling it).

Anyone have any direct experiences with the vendors' assembled 540 or larger short blocks they'd be willing to share with me? I'm not trying to start a vendor bashing thread, just looking for overall impression of any dealings you've had with them. I'm most interested in the reliability of their product in a bracket environment (150+ passes/year) and minimal customer service/shipping hassles. Email, PMs, etc are welcome if you'd rather not post them publicly. Vendors I'm currently considering (kinda in order of how I've temporarily stack ranked them):

Scott Shafiroff
    Dynoflo
    Competition Products
    Speedomotive
    Ohio Crankshaft

Input on anyone else you think I've missed would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tim

PS - to email me directly, add @sbcglobal.net to my username

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:55 pm 

I've heard of issues with a couple of those listed, the ones I would look at are Steve Schmidt, Reher Morrison, or Sunset Racecraft. All have good reps, take pride in their work, and I have not heard any negative on them. From a reliability or quality standpoint, they will be hard to beat. It may cost you a little more initially, but in the grand scheme will probably save you in the long run.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:24 pm 

I would second the Reher & Morrison.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:02 am 

X3 On Reher/Morrison, and on what Jmark said. You should get what you pay for, from those guys!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:20 am 

Thanks guys.... I agree, a couple on the list I've also heard knocks about, however I've no direct experience with them and thought it was only fair to include them to see if anyone had positive results.

Concerning RM, years ago I'd run one of their 468s and more recently one of their 555s. I had OK results with them. Since they are "in the neighborhood" I used to see more of their product than anyone else's. Not so much anymore. Also, they seem to be more oriented towards selling either complete motors or individual components, not assembled short blocks. Granted, I've not contacted them about short assemblies, I'm only going by what is on their website. Lastly, I didn't include them on the list for another reason; Although folks claim they are "just as good", some of their individual component brand selections they use I felt were a bit of a compromise (I had a bad experience with one of the individual component products years ago and would rather not use those brand products).

I did contact Sunset, and if "money were no object" they'd be the easy choice. Performance-wise and support-wise, their products speak well for them. If I raced "for a vocation/living" OR only ran one car, they'd be at the top of a very short list. However, since this is a family hobby, money does play a factor and I have to consider some others due to it (I'm more of a local track bracket program racer that only occasionally makes a 3-day event or two at another track... Definitely not a "traveling semi-pro").

I hadn't thought of Steve Schmidt as a possibility before. While the short blocks they show on their website are definitely a good percentage higher than those from the vendors I'd listed, I need to investigate whether they're worth the delta, reliability-wise.... His may well be the balance I'm looking for in value/reliability, if I can hear from some folks that've run them.

Thanks again, I do appreciate your input,

-Tim

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 am 

Don't forget Scott I see alot of his motors around here...
http://www.shafiroff.com/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:22 pm 

Beretta wrote:

Barry -

Years ago, I was really impressed with Scott's 468s that Hawley ran in the school cars (I'm not sure what he runs in them now... it's been over a decade since I attended his school). They were obviously built for reliability, seeing HUNDREDS of runs/year each, but also seemed to run well considering they had the old GM iron rectangular port heads (at least the one I drove did).

However, the only person around here I found that has run one more recently bought it used off racingjunk (unknown # of runs on it), freshened it with rings/bearings/lifters, then broke a rod bolt in it about 100 passes later. Considering the unknown previous history on that one motor, I hadn't really ruled it either in or out as a candidate. His prices on his website definitely seem very fair.

-Tim

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:38 pm 

Call Tim at http://branonsperformance.com/

He does all of the machine work for our engines. He has built some stout bigblocks and he is also known in the my area for building quailty stuff at fair prices. You won't be dissapointed. Tell him Scott Offermann sent you.

Scott

2007 & 2009 Gateway S/Pro Champion
420 SBC 1.085, 4.85@140.5, 7.67@172.7

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:31 pm 

Beretta wrote:

I wouldnt let them put a pedal bike together .. Long story short a friends 950hp 565 ran like a 800hp motor, when it broke 70 passes from new it had none of the parts he paid for in it. This was winter when he bought it, past the "90" warranty he was told ..

I use these guys www.nyesautomotive.net they dont make killer hp but they are good prices and they stuff they build lives a long time and awesome people to deal with. Ask for Pat tell him I sent ya =;

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:47 pm 

I talked to one of our local outlaw racers that use Steve Schmidt engines. His is a 760 he has had for 7 years and spun a bearing this year. A friend of his has a 800 both NA. this is what He said about Steve.

"Steve is the same price as everybody else on basic machine work.
he just offers a lot of other services too.
he will do what you want and then some if you need it done.
Steve's turn around has been quick for everything I needed done .

they all make mistakes because they have employees :(
the issues is how they work with you to get the problems fixed . 8-)

I always like to visit an engine builder first
and make sure we are both on the same page.
then I price..... what I want done
and find out when they can deliver the job completed ..."

I hope that helps.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:05 pm 

Quote:
Scott Shafiroff
Dynoflo
Competition Products
Speedomotive
Ohio Crankshaft

If you buy any short blocks from any of these above shops, be sure and tear down, check and recheck all the machine work.
If your not equipped to do that, have a reputable engine shop check it out for you. all of the above will be using pretty much the same parts. It seems the above named shops lack the QC in the machine work/assembly of the higher end shops that have been mentioned.
Hard to beat their prices, just remember, if you buy a short block from them and then you finish it off, and have an engine problem, those companies will state quite clearly and quickly that you had to have done something wrong on your end!!

http://www.mhpmachine.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech