Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Re: Sheetmetal Tunnelram
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:09 am 

You, my friend, have a problem! O:) Welcome to the club. =; :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:29 am 

Sweet gets some pics of it when ya get it on :)

I thought about buying a used sheet metal intake when I ran sb's, I called about a few and then called Hogan & Rons Porting, them guys are very sharp. I got the never buy a used sheetmetal unless you get the full specs from who made it and what it was for. I almost spent 1500 on a Hogan that a guy had on a sbc, called Hogan and he told it was for a very small ci high winding deal and would hurt me more then help over my dart intake. Just my doings with sheetmetals ... they do look sweeeettttt \:D/

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Hammertime wrote:
Sweet gets some pics of it when ya get it on :)

I thought about buying a used sheet metal intake when I ran sb's, I called about a few and then called Hogan & Rons Porting, them guys are very sharp. I got the never buy a used sheetmetal unless you get the full specs from who made it and what it was for. I almost spent 1500 on a Hogan that a guy had on a sbc, called Hogan and he told it was for a very small ci high winding deal and would hurt me more then help over my dart intake. Just my doings with sheetmetals ... they do look sweeeettttt \:D/

It's mostly in the runner length. If you look at the link Mark posted it shows how the different RPM ranges need different lengths. Curtis told me that most ALL Hogans intakes would be too short for my setup and that's probably because guys that are going to spend $3K for an intake usually want ALL they can get out of it and that requires turning it up over 9K RPM. Since I'm well below that, I need a runner that is close to 2 inches longer than most of them that have been made. This one I'm looking at should be very close as I've been told that it's virtually impossible to make one of these with a 6 inch runner. The guy that has it was told the same thing by the builder so there will be some "trade off" there.

I should know something by weeks end though.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:01 pm 

Hey Ken...a pair of those dominators on the sheetmetal intake on the small block would look even cooler....i'm just sayin =;

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Pulled my dart intake off today and the intake gasket was ready to fail......AGAIN! It looks like it was leaking on a few cylinders as there is oil down the runner in the head but none in the manifold. I got through one season with'em but that was it. Hummm, may have to start changing them out at mid season and over the winter too. :-k But didn't we have this conversation last year?

Measured the intake ports on the head and the manifold and there's about .100 difference? I'd say there might be some performance loss there, ya think? Hopefully that sheetmetal intake will be good to go in that area.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 pm 

Hey Ken what about adding some down nozzles in the combustion chambers like the sprint cars have (I think) that would be worth some HP (I've heard) and no more intake gasket problems with that alcohol... :-k

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Finally got a call from the guy with the sheet metal intake today. He was suppose to call me last week but the guy that is building his new intake (he has the one I want) was "unavailable" until today. He gave me some intake port measurements and it seems we are good to go. He will be here at my shop/house with that manifold Thursday for me to test fit it to my heads. Lets hope that it will fit without having to do any machine work on it. \:D/

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Well it's official. \:D/ I bought Faye's intake today so now the Camaro will have a sheetmetal intake and my two 750 Rupert alky carbs for this season. I've got to machine both intake flanges as they don't match the angle on my heads but the good news is that it's too high and machining will make the vertical part of the ports line up better than they do now. I got the linkage and the Dominator shear plates with it too. Next week I'll see about getting a piece of 1/4 aluminum plate to make the new top for the 4150 carbs. \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone know where I can buy some 1/16" x 27 NPT brass pipe plugs cheap? I need 24 of'em! O:) Yeah, the guy (I got this from really likes the laughing gas! O:)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 pm 

You mean 1/8 NPT plugs :-k .....
http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-stee ... gs/=57gqbx

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:

Nitrous fogger nozzles are threaded 1/16 x 27 NPT and there are three in each runner. And yeah I saw the SS plugs but look at the cost of those puppies! Ionidized aluminum is also available but much more expensive than the SS ones? Brass will work just as good and probably be half that price. Saw them listed on a Google search but they were only available in a box of 100 for $48?? O:)

Going to call some local people Monday to see if they have them, or can get them.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:58 pm 

why not just put the NOS back in it, .. run three foggers, ..

what, .. R ya sceered?????

=;

can't wait to see how this runs, ..

c

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:16 am 
Site Admin

CBoggs wrote:
what, .. R ya sceered?????
can't wait to see how this runs, ..

c

Well,.......Yeah! 15+ to 1 compression isn't the best engine combo for a fogger system, let alone 3 of'em! I felt the love and had to buy this one cuz you wouldn't port my single 4 Dart intake! O:) [-o<

Don't look for much if any performance gain but do think fuel distribution will be much better. This way I'll be able to tune each cylinder with jet instead of using zip ties to balance EGTs on adjacent cylinders. If one is lean, then all thats required to fix that is to put more jet in that venturi! Hopefully consistency will improve with this also. Ports are same width but just a tick shorter than the head but it's still better than the Dart intake, which is about .100 shorter and narrower than the head. We may pick up a little because of that.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:55 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:

Well,.......Yeah! 15+ to 1 compression isn't the best engine combo for a fogger system, let alone 3 of'em! I felt the love and had to buy this one cuz you wouldn't port my single 4 Dart intake! O:) [-o<

No, that sounds about right for nitrous. Maybe make it 13.5 to 1... and order 2 sets of new pistons, those 18 degree heads will have learning curve to tuning them..
=;

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech