Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Re: Dynoing my 414ci SBC
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:14 pm 

That explains why it is still making good power above 7K. Just imagine what it would make with more compression and race gas.

2007 & 2009 Gateway S/Pro Champion
420 SBC 1.085, 4.85@140.5, 7.67@172.7

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:17 pm 

Hey Rick... very nice results from you 414"! I'm very impressed with the power for pump gas!
You did an awesome job on your heads!

Have you tried changing the cam timing yet? Learned anything else that might help?

You gotta love telling people it's a 350! I wouldn't know anything about that! ;-) :---) =; \:D/

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28 am 

Brktracer wrote:
Hey Rick... very nice results from you 414"! I'm very impressed with the power for pump gas!

Have you tried changing the cam timing yet? Learned anything else that might help?

You gotta love telling people it's a 350! I wouldn't know anything about that! ;-) :---) =; \:D/

Thanks!
I haven't tried anything else and the engine is still sitting in my garage waiting to go in the dragster and it is very much Winter here and has been snowing and very cold for what seems like forever. I am gathering parts (headers, tranny, converter, sbc motor plate etc) and will have it ready to race this Spring. Have been looking for an enclosed trailer, but nothing I want yet and not far from just ordering a new one.

I have a set of 1-7/8" - 2" step headers on the way from Fab-Shop. They should be better than the junk 2" headers we used on the dyno. Fab shop actually recommended 1-3/4" -1-7/8" step for my engine. I didn't want them that small for re-sale or re-use later. I also think my engine is pretty close to a toss-up between the 1-7/8" and 1-3/4" pipes since my engine is low compression. My converter will be around 6k too and I have a hard time believing a 1-3/4" header will be better above 6k rpm. He thought it would be 10hp better with the smaller headers. We'll never know, but the ones I got should be at least 10hp better than the ones on the dyno.

Once I get it going and get my license, I'll be racing and trying various things to see what works.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:52 pm 

rick360 wrote:

The most it showed on any pull was 634HP @ 6900. The power was above 600 for nearly 1500rpm (6000-7500). The power just doesn't want to drop. The TQ pk was 527@ 5300 and was still 525@ 6000. This was with 92 octane BP pump gas with a mix of 5gals pump gas to 0.5gals race gas. Avgas showed similar power.
Rick

NICE JOB Rick !!

Those Track 1X heads are very under rated, .. pushrod moved over really helps the power hang on, ..
very, very nice job !!

Curtis

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:54 pm 

Thanks Curtis. I think the intake may be a little bigger and/or more taper than necessary for the rpm I was shooting for.

On another note, I flow tested a CFE BBC 11º Big Chief head and matching CFE sheetmetal intake from a 1250+HP 638. PM me if you're interested in the details. I measured anything/everything I could. =;

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:41 pm 

rick360 wrote:
Brktracer wrote:

Thanks!
I haven't tried anything else and the engine is still sitting in my garage waiting to go in the dragster and it is very much Winter here and has been snowing and very cold for what seems like forever. I am gathering parts (headers, tranny, converter, sbc motor plate etc) and will have it ready to race this Spring. Have been looking for an enclosed trailer, but nothing I want yet and not far from just ordering a new one.

I have a set of 1-7/8" - 2" step headers on the way from Fab-Shop. They should be better than the junk 2" headers we used on the dyno. Fab shop actually recommended 1-3/4" -1-7/8" step for my engine. I didn't want them that small for re-sale or re-use later. I also think my engine is pretty close to a toss-up between the 1-7/8" and 1-3/4" pipes since my engine is low compression. My converter will be around 6k too and I have a hard time believing a 1-3/4" header will be better above 6k rpm. He thought it would be 10hp better with the smaller headers. We'll never know, but the ones I got should be at least 10hp better than the ones on the dyno.

Once I get it going and get my license, I'll be racing and trying various things to see what works.

Rick

Rick, if you know of anyone looking for a set of 18* Fab Shop headers for a dragster I have a set that is only a year old for sale...1 7/8 to 2", the spike, 8 EGT and O2 bungs.... $750! I now need a set of 2" to 2 1/8....

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech