Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: oil pan
 Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:56 pm 

I just wanted to rehash an old post on some other website a little while back. What is the best out of the box oil pan? Application is a big block chevy in wheels up drag racing. 4.25 stroke crank leaving off brake, so keep oil surge in mind.

-Tanner

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:42 pm 

I forget the number, it is a moroso that has kick outs on both sides. Clearanced for extra stroke, and trap door to control surge. It is easy to spot in the jegs catalog, it holds 6 quarts . I also have a 496 in my camaro and that pan works for me. If you can't find it let me know and I will look it up.
Greg =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:45 am 

I also looked at that pan for my 496 BBC however I went with the Hamburger pan that holds 8 quarts + trap door for surge and notch's for extra stroke also has crank scraper built in.

Part # at Summit is HAM-1488 cost is $199.88

Now one thing about this pan I had to modify my linkage in my 66 Chevelle for it to fit............Just bent the pitman arm and the equivelent on the passenger side and it fits perfect.

Also keep this in mind, the pan I bought came with a small hole where the dip stick holder was welded on the pan.......I just used some RTV and filled it and sent a nasty e-mail to company and they waved the one year warranty on my pan and when I go to re-ring and bearings this coming off-season they will replace at no charge. At least they did not make me remove it now and send it in =D> =D> That would not have been worth it, cause I have to remove engine to replace.

They assure me this is the acception and not the rule.......LOL what else would they say.

However I do like the pan \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ And would buy it again.

Hope this helps............

Mitch

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Not to change the subject but one of the major problems I've seen with oil pans is not oil control on accelleration but in the shut down area. The BBC I had in the first digger I owned had a Moroso pan with baffles and every time I hit the brakes after a run oil pressure would go in the toilet. Never noticed this problem with the Studebaker with the Milodon flat bottom pan with three baffels. So with that car (digger) I always went to neutral at the finish line to get the engine down to idle speed to save bearings. It worked as I ran that thing all summer long with no failures.

So, when I put that SBC out of the Studebaker in the digger I had last year guess what? First pass, hit the brakes and same crap! Oil pressure went in the toilet again? So I used the same method I did on the first digger and again, ran that thing all last year without any problems that I know of.

Finally, I put that same engine in this Camaro I bought in January and now have the same problem as before with the digger? So it's neutral at the finish line pumping the brake to "git-r-stopped".

I've spoken to several racers that run an accusump setup to eliminate this problem. Don't want to have to do that.

Sorry for the rant but is anyone else having this problem and if so, did you fix it and how?

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:48 pm 

Ken,

I have the same problem with my dragster. I have used Milodon and Moroso pans. Right now I have a Moroso aluminum pan ($599 cost). I just coast after the finish line. Never had a main bearing problem. Oil pressure usually comes back before the turn off. As long as it comes back up, I do not worry about the oil pressure. Bob

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:02 pm 

So far Ken I have had no oil pressure drop with this pan or engine.

I hope I never do but if I do Neutral is where I'm going thanks for the tip =D> =D> =D>

Mitch

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

I've been thinking about this for a while and have come to some conclusions on it. The problem with the SBC I have now didn't show up until I put that engine in the digger. A LOT FASTER than the door car was for sure and more G forces in the shut down area as well. Studebaker never went over 106 in the eight mile so it wasn't that hard to stop it but the digger was 129 and I would stand on them pretty good at certian tracks with short shut down runs. This Camaro is a bunch faster than that Stude was also at 115 in the eight mile, that and the fact that the engine sits a little more down in front getting the drive line angle off the tranny more in line with the rear end. In other words, I think the difference in engine attitude has something to do with it as with both diggers the engines were level to just a tad down in the front. That would help oil run away from the pickup under braking, I would think.

Anywho, it is something to ponder and I guess if I ever puke one because of it I'll go ahead and buy or build myself an accusump! =;

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Last edited by Ken0069 on Fri May 12, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:07 pm 

well after all the years of doing this, i have yet to find a pan in which the oil pressure is constant no matter what. so a few years back, i spent the money and bought an accusump. i mounted it the trunk(more weight over the rear). it's really nice. for all the money you put in motors and your car, i feel you might as well spend a couple hundred for an insurance policy that will always be there.

i was battling the same problem as the rest of you w/milodon pans. on the brakes the oil pressure would fall. now as soon as the oil press. drops below normal operating pressure i have an extra quart in my pan and the pressure comes back up.

i'm sold on them!!!! well worth the money!
corey

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech