Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Road Trip
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 pm 

Well, left the house at 8AM this morning on a road trip to Maryland. Got a deal on a JKM flow bench I'm picking up tomorrow. I talked Bruce (nomad) into riding along, keep me awake and share a little driving. I borrowed a 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer, towing with my Saturn Outlook. Big mistake! It tows very well, but noticed it seemed to be using fuel real quick. By this time we are 1 1/2 hours into the trip. Well it seems the computer won't let the converter lock up with the trailer load. ](*,) we can drive between 55 & 60 on flat road and it will lock, but the slightest change in load kicks it out. At this point getting 10 MPG... #-o I could have towed race car and trailer with my Suburban and got better. Too far to turn around, it is what it is. So the next fun was 1 1/2 hour stop in the middle of the interstate half way through Georgia. ](*,) Car wreck about a mile up, two choppers and an ambulance taking people out. We go by, 1 SUV. Fun day so far...

Post subject: Re: Road Trip
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

When you're in Richmond, Va, you're 110 miles due West of me.

When you pass by the I85 intersection @ Petersburg, Va you're within 5 miles of Virginia Motorsports Park in Dinwiddie County, Va.

When you're on the I95 beltway around Washington, DC you're in no mans land!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 pm 

On our way back now. Just passed the Spotsylvania exit on I-95. Got the bench.
Smithsburg is a quaint little town.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:15 pm 

Mark, what kind of mileage does the Outlook normally get? Man it must really not like having a load. My wife and I rented a brand new Ford Escape for a trip while her '10 Mustang was getting factory warranty service. It was very disappointing with all the eco boost hype and only 24 hwy mpg on the trip. Hell her Mustang gets over 23 with twice the hp. The best towing mpg I've ever seen was a trip about ten years ago my dad made from Houston to Michigan and back pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with a '36 Ford coupe in it. He pulled it with an early 80's Chevy short wheelbase truck that he built a pretty vanilla 350 with an rv type cam in it and a 700 R4 behind it. 15 mpg for the trip. Oh, it had a Quadrajet on it - imagine that! =;

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 pm 

Average about 20-22, little less the way I drive... :-$ It's getting 10 towing, but I think the fluid needs changing. This morning in cooler weather, 55ish, the lockup started working. Seems like once the ambient hit 65 it went stupid again. :-k

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 am 

Not really thinking that it not going into lockup is killing that much gas mileage.
On my truck it only kills about 1000 rpm. agree not helping but not running in OD is what is killing you mileage.

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 am 

On the road again. Just got passed by a load of white turkeys, feathers and gunk flying everywhere. Been amusing myself by watching a funny thread on another forum.

We got tired last night and just couldn't make it to the South of the Border hotel in SC last night. I'm disappointed.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics