Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:08 pm 

I'm adding a few channels to my Innovate LM-2 and am looking to wire it once and use some form of shielded wire to help ensure I don't get any interference. I see that McMaster Carr has some shielded wire , but wondered if anyone else has done this, and what you used.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Mark did you check with Greg at Motorsports Innovations? I seem to remember getting some of that stuff from him when I got my DL-32 system?

Local electronics supplier might have it and also DigiKey, who sells some of the sensors I use.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:37 am 

Mark, I have got some at just about any electronics store. It is some what hard to find 2 wire for some reason but 3 or 4 wire is more common...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:22 am 

Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought about network cable, but perhaps that's because I've never wired anything with less that 14 gauge wire because I was worried about the run length. I'm going to have to email Greg because the instructions for the coupler speed sensor say to connect one wire to a 12v source and I thought these systems all used a 5v differential. Looks like I'll be learning some new tricks while hooking up these various sensors.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Admin

If you choose to use network cable, make sure you get STRANDED WIRE for long runs as the solid stuff will probably break from all the vibrations on these cars. However I have used some of that solid wire as jumpers to join all the negative terminals on those boxes like the TC-4s.

The only thing in the system that needs larger wire is the heater circuit in an LC-1 and even that doesn't need to be THAT large. If memory serves, I ran 16ga wire for my + and - source to a terminal strip mounted on the bottom of the deflector plate in front of the engine. Also used velcro to mount both the DL-32 and the SSI-4 to that same plate, ie, one on the front side above the fuel pump mount and the other on the back side next to the CO2 bottle. You have to get "creative" on these cars due to limited mounting space and do some "outta da box" thinking.

I've still got two TC-4s to mount and I do believe I'll wind up with those on the radiator fan shroud just behind the engine. That way it's a short wire run to the thermocouples in each exhaust pipe.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:42 pm 

Any electronics store will have the wire you need. I used left over microphone wire I got from some audio guy. When I needed additional colors I went to a surplus store here in Orlando. I just bought shielded 20 ga four conductor wire. Stuff was cheap and works great.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:35 pm 

Radio Shack

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics