Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

As most of you already know, there are NO TRAILER TIRES MADE IN THE USA AT THIS TIME! I even called Goodyear today to confirm this and even THEY are STILL having their tires made in China even though the internet is FULL of BAD reviews on the China made Goodyear tires! [-(

The Goodyears I had on this trailer were originally bought about 7+ years ago for my 20ft Studebaker/Camaro trailer and they were made in Canada. They've been good tires but they were expensive when I bought them way back then @ around $480 for the set. About that same time I put a full set of Michelin tires on the Dodge too and they were $1200.

So after pricing tires locally I found that Maxxis tires are NOT available in this area, and not even within 100 miles of me! What I found was Akuret and Turnpike tires in an E load rating. The Akurate tires were $88 each and the Turnpike tires were $75 each and BOTH had identical tread patterns?? So, being the cheap SOB that I am, I bought two of those "CHEAP" Turnpike tires and I'll see how they hold up with time and mileage.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:41 pm 

I here most are putting LT truck tires on trailers now O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hummm, from what I can gather, no LT truck tires are available around here in 15" either but yeah, I also thought of this.

FWIW, these cheap Chinese tires didn't take any more weight to balance than the GOOD Goodyears did?? But they do have that "funky" cheap assed Chinese rubber smell though! O:) [-( [-(

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 pm 

Save yourself the headache, you will buy them one and be done. You can get 16" wheels from $40-$45 on e-bay, and have a better tire selection to chose from. Get E range LT tires, the ST are junk and don't last.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
Save yourself the headache, you will buy them one and be done. You can get 16" wheels from $40-$45 on e-bay, and have a better tire selection to chose from. Get E range LT tires, the ST are junk and don't last.

Yeah well, that all sounds good but if I did that then my racing would be done for the year, right when the weather is getting good. That and raising the trailer another 2 inches with those tires means I'd have to completely rework the way I load and unload The car! Yeah, it's that close now!

And you forget that I've already had to overhaul the tranny in the Geo, spend money in parts for the Dodge tranny, spend money on the Dodge because the computer system has s**t the bed and buy s**t to make this trailer to where I "hope" I can use it for a few more months. Not to mention the cost of diesel fuel has hit $4.00 a gallon here........AGAIN!

Anyone interested in a nice low use Undercover hard tail car? [-( [-( [-(

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:36 pm 

Diesel is only $3.59 here =; and holding for 3 weeks now :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 am 

I would look for a 215 or a 225/75-16 LT w ith an E rating. They are within an inch of size the standard trailer tire, and will clear all way around on trailer. I did this 4 yrs ago, going with a 215/-16 and have had 1 flat in 4 yrs, that was from road debris... ride is so much better, you'll wish you had done it to begin with. I bought a grey steel wheel with the holes, and I shoulda done it the first yr I had mine, and not waited the first 2 !

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info KDub but lemmie know when you find a 16" trailer wheel with 5 on 4.5" lug spacing! This trailer has 3500lb axles under it.

The two cheap china tires I bought are load range E so that's about the best I can do with what I have to work with.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics