Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:35 pm 

Fastest seaplane in the world. 462MPH in 1934. Two 12 cylinder engines, concentric prop shafts, and contra-rotating props. One pretty airplane

The copper colored stuff is the radiators. Ethyl gylcol was a strategic material and we weren't giving any to Mussolini.

Next

Supermarine S6 407MPH in 1931 Corrugations on fuselage are the oil coolers. We gave them anti-freeze.

S6 engine. 2200+ cu in 2400+ HP for an hour or so. 1929 technology OHC, 4 valves per cylinder, sodium filled exhaust valves, articulated rods.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

That looks somewhat like the Air and Space museum up at Dulles? :-k

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:34 pm 

The red airplane is in some Italian museum.Probably by Lake Como.

The blue on is in England.

Spitfire and P-51 valvetrain. No roller followers, big surprise there.

Word is that the RR Merlin had six times the number of parts the Allison had.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:35 am 

Yes, look at some of that "old" New technology.... If you have ever checked out the oiling system you would realize there were no "flat" cams, even with the sever cam profiles. Must have been a good design. It was widely copied.
There are two things that I have dreamed of since I was a teenage boy. 1. Being able to fly a P-51 in combat.
2. Being there, in on, or a "fly on the wall" in the design of the RR Merlin.
Guess I missed out on those two things. Even if I had been of that era, I'm too big to fit in a P-51. Tried to fly one in 1970.... guess I would have been flying B-25's like my Dad. Yes Bruce, I'm a student and follower of avation. So much that I sold my comp dragster and bought a Cessna in Feb. now I'm current and flying around having a blast.

Adger

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 am 

Give these guys a look if you want to try dogfighting.
http://aircombat.com/

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Adger Smith wrote:
I sold my comp dragster and bought a Cessna in Feb. now I'm current and flying around having a blast.

Adger

Ah yes, know those Cessna's well. I soloed in a 150 @ 7.5 hours, then took my check ride @ 39.5 (instructor had to pencil in .5 so I met the 40 hr minimum). Those were the "good old days" for sure. This was the early 1970s and that private pilot's license cost me $800. Rental on a 150 Cessna was only $13 an hour. Don't remember the instructor rate but it was much less than the airplane. During that time I also flew both the 172 and 182 Cessna planes. That 182 rocks!!

Then the next year I started having random bouts of vertigo, was diagnosed with Meniere's Syndrome and was never to fly as PIC again!! =P~

The one thing that sticks in my mind though is that first solo. Take off and climb out I was a little busy but then after the turn down wind and I trimmed up I got to look around and relax a bit. THAT is when I realize that there's no one in the other seat to correct a botched landing! O:) You and me Lord, right?" =;

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:59 pm 

Note the lack of timing chains. Bevel gears and shafts. There are some interesting youtube vids of these two airplanes in action.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:15 pm 

Napier Lion. Powered the Supermarine S5. Three banks of cylinders DOHC.

The valvespring retainers are lighted. Where have we seen that before?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 pm 

Thanks for the photos . I've spent many happy hours looking at the huge collection of old planes and engines at the Fantasy Of Flight , near Lakeland FL. on I-4 .

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:24 pm 

Well Mike I live about 3 miles from there. I hear the daily warbird flight. I'm to the point I can tell the difference in sound between an Allison and a Merlin. Signifying if he's flying the P-40 or P-51 that day. ONe day I hope to hear the sound of a DB 600 series engine.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:40 am 

Ken,
Sounds like we are cut from the same cloth.
I originally got my ticket punched in 1969. Same deal on hours. I have a little over 650 hrs. I flew as Pic until 1979. I had 2 racetracks and they were about 200 miles apart. I was skilled at landing 172's 150's and 182's on the tracks. I could rent a plane and fly between tracks quick and cheap. After 1979 I flew several hundred hours as Second seat, un logged, with my best friend and CFI. Those flights were mostly Hi performance twins. 300-400 series Cessnas and several of the King Air series Beechcraft. That all stopped in 1995 when he died in a M/C crash. Now it is time to do it again. My daughter married a guy in Kentucky and he lives in one of those places that is over there, but you have to go "out of the way" to get there. 9-9.5 hr drive. I can do in about 3.5-4 hrs in the trusty old Cessna and only spend a few more dollars on gas. If I get an auto STC the gas price will be nill, might even be less. I've been looking at a commander 112B for little more speed and room/load.
I would love to go to one of those Air combat programs, but due to a racing injury my body is not able to "sustain unusual attitudes". I can handle the G's as long as they are in one direction, but when you get to pulling a positive followed by negative. it causes sever pain. I've already tried it. It's a bummer. I'm just lucky to be able to pass the medical and fly. The guy, Clarence, that does the MC work for Engine Masters sent me a video of his Air Combat. Says he does it a couple of times a year. Here is a little You Tube clip of when I bought my old gal and was bringing her home. First time in it!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsGcKd6IpmQ&feature=plcp
That is so sad about your vertigo problems. To me the flying is one of the best "freedoms" a person can experience. When my A** is off the ground a few thousand feet and the plane is trimmed up for "uncontrolled" flight it seems like everything back on the ground is just insignificant. I also love to look at "Mother Earth" from above. It puts a different perspective on what you see or thought you saw on the ground. Nothing like flying!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:38 pm 

I was hoping someone else would notice this. It looks to me like the cam lobes on the Napier engine have been brazed to the camshaft.

Also, the quality of the castings seems to be exceptional. Amazing for an engine designed in the Twenties.

Napier also built an H configured engine during WWII. Two flat twelves on top of each other driving a single prop shaft. It had sleeve valves and was reputed (unsustantiated or classified) to make over 5000 HP.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics