Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Wrapping vs Paint?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone here ever had a car wrapped instead of painted and if so, what's your opinion on that? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Wrapping vs Paint?
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:02 am 

Ken thats what I do for a living, been in sign industry for 30 years,
wraps are good if you want some fancy graphics and stuff but wont be as tough as paint.
Around dzus clips and joins in panels can be a bit of a problem with time...if you just want one or two colors on your rig then I would prefer paint any day with vinyl cut lettering on top.
If you scratch a panel you can brush touch it up with paint.

Steve...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:33 am 

Our Sprinter trucks are wrapped Ken. Now there used every day but hard to clean road grime off although
they look good going down the road for sure it's not something I would do on your digger.
Oh and it's not cheep,,To do one truck it was $3000 bucks..and IMO the guy that did it did a $**t job.
Lot's of bubbles and when he cut around things like the door hinges he cut threw the paint and now it's rusting :- ... I have the oldest truck and it's not wrapped it only has vinyl letters and graphics on it and looks better than the truck that is 3 years newer..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Admin

Yeah well, I'm having problems finding someone to paint this car. It's got a couple of small dents that need to be fixed as well and I don't know of anyone around here that can work those aluminum panels? :-k

Bucket of paint and a roller? O:) Kidding of course but I HAVE been thinking about painting it with spray cans as I can do that here, one panel at a time! :-k Main hold up there is that aluminum requires an etching primer and I'm not sure that's available in a spray can? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:12 am 

A local body shop told me about an etching primer that comes in spray cans and it's a very good product. He said he likes to use it for small places that need etched and it's convenient because he doesn't have to mix it and clean up a spray gun for small spots. I used it on the Probe and haven't had any problems with it. A light coat that you can see through is all it takes so it shouldn't take much to do it. I can get the info on that if you want.

Why don't you pick up a cheap gun and shoot it yourself? I would think that would look better than a spray can job and wouldn't cost much more. With basecoat/clearcoat you just tack between base coats and if you get a little dirt in the clear you just wet sand and buff. It would seem to me a dragster would be fairly easy to do because all the panels come off.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:09 am 

I painted the aluminum wing on my altered. I used the rattle can etching primer. Seems to be pretty good. I have peeling or anything. I have bought quarts of etching primer from the auto paint supply place here locally and sprayed it my self. Its a little pricey ( I am pretty cheap too). You can do it if I can.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:14 am 

Ken I have two new HVLP paint guns that I use once to paint my J/R Dragster I can send them out to you if you would like to borrow.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestions guys and yeah Chuck, if you can get a name for that primer you used I'd like to have it. How about body filler that can be used as well, or will just about all of that work with that primer?? :-k

And thanks Kenny but I really don't want to get too involved and besides, I only got a small air compressor and no dryer.

FYI all, and Kenny already knows this, these car bodies are hard on paint! Every time you take those panels off and put them back, one is falling on the other and it's gonna get scratched up regardless of how careful you are when doing that. That's one reason I don't want to spend a bunch of money to have it painted. The other is that paint won't make it run any faster or more consistent.

I had one body shop guy tell me that I really ought to put paint on that aluminum as without it he claims it will get horked up. I thought that once it got it's regular corrosion film on that would be it but he said that it will continue to eat into that aluminum and make it even harder to get paint to stick to it. So I may at least put primer on it to stop that.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:31 pm 

I believe most fillers will work on aluminum just like any other sheet metal. I would think the fact that you can get to the backside of your sheet metal that a little dolly work and some high fill primer would fix just about anything on it. As far as the compressor goes I don't think it takes much. The gravity feed HVLP guns don't require much volume. C'mon Ken don't chicken out on this. Remember when you wouldn't tackle a carburetor?

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

gearhead1011 wrote:
I believe most fillers will work on aluminum just like any other sheet metal. I would think the fact that you can get to the backside of your sheet metal that a little dolly work and some high fill primer would fix just about anything on it. As far as the compressor goes I don't think it takes much. The gravity feed HVLP guns don't require much volume. C'mon Ken don't chicken out on this. Remember when you wouldn't tackle a carburetor?

Chuck didn't say I COULDN'T do it as I've painted stuff back years ago, just that I really don't want to get THAT involved in it. Not to mention all the mess from cleaning paint guns and such. It was enough of a mess last year when I stripped it even though I caught most of that in the trash can.

Dunno. Maybe I'll prime a couple of panels toward the rear with a spray can where most of the crap gets thrown around during the burnouts and see how that works out. ;-)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:45 am 

Ken,
I've painted several dragsters including mine (now posted). It's not that big of a problem doing aluminum. PPG makes "alumi prep" which can be used. Two keys to keeping the paint from popping is make sure you sand the surface well so your primer can bite. Next...clean...clean...clean. Aluminum is very porous and will hold oils very bad. I use a good epoxy primer because it has great adhesion. Fill any dents after the epoxy has cured. (sand it too) Some will wetsand the epoxy and spray the basecoat direct. I lay a 2K urethane before basecoat and re-sand.
As for vibration tearing up the paint. yeah it does. I lay clear VERY heavy on dragsters to provide a better layer & I increase the hardner about 20-25% on my final coats. Makes it a bit harder to buff but seems to help.

I'd reccomend just sanding it with a red scratch pad...and spray it with a flat black epoxy primer.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions or need help.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Chad thanks for the info but as I said before, I really don't want to get that deep into the paint deal mainly because of the mess and the equipment I'd have to buy.

I stripped the car last year as it had 3 coats of paint on it part of which was peeling off. That and someone else's name was on it in paint under the clear? I spent a little over $100 in materials stripping it basically because no one wanted to fool with it. And even after the paint is off still no one wants to fool with it. At least no one that I know.

So I think I'll put an ad in the local trader paper to see if I can find someone that will paint it at a reasonable price before I go the spray can route. I'm not holding my breath though.

Shame you're so far away! =;

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 am 

Yeah it is. Dragsters are simple to paint. I can have a bare car done with 2 or 3 stripes in a week. One thing to keep in mind....automotive paints HATE spray can paint. If you do decide to rattle can it....you'll have to strip it again before it's painted. I just did a car for a guy and the hood/decklid was can painted. Even epoxy wrinkled it.

](*,)

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics